samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips on how to Study by an Honor Student:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Studying is annoying! We all have different methods to get good grades but here is how I do it:

1- Procrastination!

Don’t always procrastinate, and if you do then only  procrastinate on subjects that you find are easy to study during your last minute. Procrastination can lead to stress, and if you want to prevent it, always be on top of your assignments.

2- Textbook studying,

When you have an exam that requires reading the textbook, break down the chapters into sections. For example, if you have to read chapter one, two, and three for an exam, read one chapter per week or plan out a timed schedule that seems to work for you.

3- Split your reading.

Don’t read the whole chapter in one bite! Take a break after reading each section of each of the chapter(s). For example, what I do is: read a section from a specific chapter and then go on YouTube, or do something else. Then I get back to reading the next section. Basically split your readings, it would help you remember what you have read better.

Highlight!

Use a pencil in order to highlight what you have just read. Always write side notes to remind yourself of what you have just read.

Mark what you don’t understand and move on!

If you are confused about what you have just read, always put a comment like HUH? or question marks. Then get back to it afterwards.

Summarize.

Use post-it to write a brief summary of what you have just read. It will help you when you go back to reading your textbook again.

Test yourself!

If your professor gives you a review sheet with terms, then do it after you finish reading the whole chapter. Never do it, while you are reading. Always test yourself to make sure you know what you have just read.

Find a study space.

Find a quiet space, and/or a place you believe you can focus without any distractions.

Do what helps you focus.

If you need music to help you to focus, then use it if you must! (Or anything else that helps you to focus, e.g. the smell of certain scented candles, or sitting by the window, etc.)

Reach out to your instructor.

If you really don’t understand something, always reach out to your instructor by e-mail or office hours.

Make friends!

Always make a friend in your class, just in case you miss a class or need help.

Have faith in yourself! You got this!

Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz