“Sweet/Vicious” is All of Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Trigger Warning: Matters of sexual assault are discussed in the article and portrayed in the show.

Possible spoilers!

“Sweet/Vicious” is the series that you didn’t realize you need in your life but absolutely do.  In fact, it’s exactly what the whole world needs right now.  The MTV show premiered Tuesday night at 10 p.m. and follows two female vigilantes brutally seeking revenge on campus rapists and sexual predators. 

It starts off with Jules (Eliza Bennett), a pretty, preppy, blonde sorority sister, breaking into an unassuming guy’s dorm room and attacking him by knifepoint.  With moves reminiscent of Quentin Tarantino’s “Kill Bill,” she finishes the job by sticking a knife in his thigh and kindly advising him to call 911. Turns out, the executive producer of the series is actually a “veteran” of Tarantino’s films. It’s totally badass.

Then, we meet Ophelia (Taylor Dearden), a pot smoking computer geek who is so not interested in sorority life.  She calls her six-foot bong LeBong James.  She’s cynical, sarcastic, awkward, blue haired – kind of like Janice from “Mean Girls.”  We first find her waking up with a boy who she rudely dismisses and denies a goodbye kiss from – she obviously uses boys strictly for her own pleasure and is therefore the perfect match for Jules.  #GirlPower.  

Ophelia, however, is certainly not beating jerkoff frat boys into a pulp like Jules. We learn through Jules’ flashbacks that she has a deep emotional reason for seeking revenge.  In an interesting turn of events, Ophelia finds herself a witness to Jules debauchery and coincidentally kills a guy to save her.  Now, the two “offbeat superheroes” are indefinitely linked and must completely fess up to each other.

Through educated humor, sarcasm, and a heaping portion of quirkiness, the show tackles a very emotional and real issue.  “People are out there doing awful things and nobody’s doing anything about it,” the character of Jules stoically states.  There is a trigger warning in the beginning that is certainly not to be taken lightly.  Speaking on behalf of MTV’s target audience, executive vice president Michael Klein says “This is our audience, and it’s happening to them every day in various forms.”  “Sweet/Vicious” is MTV’s response to steadily declining viewers.

In preparation for the show, Dearden and Bennett spoke with sexual assault victims and consulted the Rape Assault and Incest National Network as well as the documentary “The Hunting Ground,” about sexual assault on campus.

The show’s creator, Jennifer Kaytin Robinson, says “In today’s climate, people are ready for it and I do not think the subject should be taboo.”  She told E! News, “I really wanted to write a story for and about empowered women, and women who were strong but could also be broken at the same time.”

Besides sexual assault, the show calls attention to other imperative social issues of today.  Harris (Brandon Mychal Smith), a law student and Ophelia’s BFF, scoffs at the attention the police give to the “rich white frat guys” getting jumped.  He even begs the question, “Where are the articles about minorities getting robbed?”  Boom.  He also makes a joke about possibly dreaming about Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  We heart his character already.  The one thing that would make this show better, though, is if the two main characters weren’t white with token black friends.  Just sayin’.

In case you need any other reason to tune into “Sweet/Vicious,” Jules fancies reading David Foster Wallace, her sorority BFF sports a “The Future is Female Sweatshirt,” and the soundtrack includes Kendrick Lamar.

Bennett explains that “The audience will be surprised by what a whirlwind of emotions they may feel. Something terrible could happen, and there may be lightness in the next scenes.”

In light of the recent election, she adds that viewers may be interested in a show where “the pussy grabs back.”

You officially have our attention.

Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island