An Open Letter To All Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Dear freshmen,

Welcome to a new chapter of your life. This is a new beginning which is both terrifying and exiting. College is full of ups and downs and you will come to understand that very quickly. Right now, many of you are focused on having fun. You have four years to figure out what you want so why stress now? I understand that fun is important but your career path starts now.

Your GPA should be up from the very beginning because bringing it back up is a challenge you do not want to face, trust me! Make sure you watch your step in selecting classes by speaking to an advisor. They are here to help you succeed, not fail. Look up your instructrs on Rate My Professors before you register and read every single review about them to avoid and unexpected difficulties. You will make mistakes and a professor your friends loved might not work out as well for you! No one can shield you from that, but you have to learn from your faults.

You must get involved on campus! Going to class, bringing food back to the dorm and then hiding is not helping you. Make friends and join a club or two and build your resume! People you meet in college may one day be the best contacts in your phone! You don’t know who might help you get your dream job.

Freshmen, do not take the writing center, tutoring center, and other great resources your college offers for granted. They provide awesome support. You should not only proofread your work but you must have others check if you’re not missing something crucial.  Many colleges even provide job placement and advice for your resume so take advantage!

Last but not least, get know you professors and make sure they remember you. Professors will later on help you with letters of recommendation. Some have connections like you wouldn’t believe and might help you land an awesome job. Do you work, show up, be friendly and ask questions! They will never forget you if you make sure they don’t.

Soak up every bit of your four years of college and don’t forget to have fun because they’ll be over as quick as high school was!

Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz