One Thing to Consider When Adopting a Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Adding a furry friend to your family may be one of the biggest and most exciting decisions you’ll ever make. After all, there’s nothing like a warm, cuddly companion to keep you company and someone you can count on no matter what.

As most know, the battle against puppy mills are a continuing epidemic. Many activist groups utilize various media outlets and organize protests to promote the idea of “don’t shop, adopt.” However, many groups forget to focus on the large number of canines that are still commonly neglected: older dogs.

Similar to the idea of adopting a child, many families want a baby so that way they can raise their child from a very young age and have the opportunity to easily instill their values and ideals in their upbringing. This is evident in the adoption of dogs as well. Many individuals and families choose to adopt a puppy over an adult or senior dog because they can be easily trained and will be in their lives for a longer period of time.

Many people think dogs are brought into shelters because they suffered a form of neglect or abuse.  If this is the case, it makes it difficult to “teach an old dog new tricks” and influence their behaivor. While that is commonly true, many dogs are also put into shelters because their owners were no longer able to care for them effectively. These dogs tend to be older, and the transition for them from a happy home life to a frightening shelter life can be extremely stressful, and take severe tolls on them mentally.  It doesn’t, however, mean that they’re all threatening in some way.  In kill shelters, these older dogs are euthanized when there is more room needed.  They seem to be less valuable to customers as opposed to a young puppy.

For those who feel older dogs are not as much fun as a newborn pup, I’m here to prove you wrong. My German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever mix is the most loving and personable dog I’ve met. She was almost 3 when we adopted her, and wanted nothing more than to be given affection and major cuddles. Even as she ages, she is constantly surprising me with new behaviors, some of which are hilarious. We even changed her name at the shelter from “Lil Bit” to Brandy, which she seemingly learned overnight.

Although puppies are adorable and hard to resist when choosing a new addition to your family, adult and senior dogs can be just as adorable and loving, just like mine! They can even already be trained and understand basic commands, making your life easier.

Consider adopting an older dog the next time you’re on the search for a furry friend. They have the largest hearts and the most love to give to anyone who will accept it. For more information on how to adopt a senior dog, click here.

Michelle is pursuing a degree in Media and Communications at SUNY Old Westbury. All that really matters to her are cute dogs, good food, and making her dreams come true. As a wise woman once said, "Never apologize for being a powerful f*cking woman."
Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island