This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Sometimes we don’t realize that we numb ourselves. We push away all those bad feelings to the point we don’t feel anything. But we don’t realize is that by numbing those feelings we also numb the good feelings.

As a college student there are many negative points in my life. What solution do I use? Numbing of course. I realized that this made me much more down and depressed. I watched a TedTalk that made me realize that there is a need for a change.

“We are the most in debt, obese, addicted, and medicated adult cohort in US history”, I mean all of these factors play a huge role as to why we numb everything. I feel like Brene Brown literally called out all college student at one point when she said this.

We have so much on our shoulders and every step we make in our lives has a snowball effect. That is why most people my age are numb. In this generation it’s tough to be a whole hearted person when there are a bunch of people around you that are numb.

Toward the end of the talk Brene Brown threw some quick key points to help lessen numbness. “Let ourselves be seen, love with whole hearts, practice gratitude, and know that you are enough”. These key ways are really simple but inspirational.

Some people including myself fade into the background, get scared to love fully, forget to enjoy that we have some good things going on, and don’t feel they are enough. All of which are the opposite of what we should be doing and feeling

Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.