New York Fashion Week Stands With Planned Parenthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

New York fashion week is kicking off on the right foot! The must-have accessory for this season is a pin supporting women everywhere.

The Council of Fashion Designer of America (CFDA), has announced an exceptional partnership with Planned Parenthood in order to raise awareness to  women’s health care provider. The pin states that  “Fashion Stands with Planned Parenthood.”

NYFW attendees will be wearing the pins made by the creative group named Condé Nast.

The pins were distributed yesterday to PR agencies, designers, creative agencies and modeling agencies, press, fashion week locations and industry influences.

There’s been no word to who will and who will not wear the pins, but the CFDA asked designers to wear the pin as they walk down the runway closing the show.  Designers who will wear the pin for sure though are Mara Hoffman, Zac Posen, Tory Burch, Diane Von Furstenberg, Jonathan Simkhai, Proenza Schouler, Narciso Rodriguez, Carolina Herrera, Public School, Milly, Kate Spade New York, Prabal Gurung, Rosetta Getty and Cushnie et Ochs. That’s a lot of big names!

According to Allure, Tracy Reese which a board member for the CFDA said, “We know that so many people stand with Planned Parenthood–including designers and entertainers–because they and their loved ones have relied on Planned Parenthood for health care, including life-saving care like cancer screenings, birth control, STI testing and treatment and sex education,” she continued by saying that “By creating a visually engaging and fashionable pin, we hope to create an organic social media movement promoting awareness education.”

The CFDA is encouraging people who get the pin to post a picture with the hashtag #IStandwithPP. Go CFDA for supporting women everywhere!

Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz