Network, Network, Network! 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

To all shy young adults out there who are afraid that they’re not good enough. To all of you who are afraid to talk to people in the work field because you’re afraid you might say something stupid. Suck it up! Sometimes giving yourself a little tough love might do the work. It doesn’t matter what your major is, from Biology, Media and Communications, art and engineering, it is so important to know people when joining the work force. That one contact can help you find the most awesome job or internship! Here are four ways to network:  

1. Professors! 

Professors are sometimes really connected. You might be surprised to here that one of your professors has worked at ABC for 20 years, your other professor might be News Director at 1010Wins a CBS radio station. Do not take you professors for granted, get to know them! 

1. Befriend your hardworking classmate. 

Sometimes, we look at our classmates and we see who is the most dedicated and who just isn’t. You should definitely talk to them and see who is already working towards a bright future. That’s your best friend right there. You’ll need each other in the future for sure!

1. Join a club! 

If someone is willing to do hard work without getting any academic credits, or a salary, this person is dedicated to his/her future! Keeping a club together, making it fun and making it known is not easy. Clubs require a lot of time and affection in order to be great. That is where you will meet people like you who will stop at nothing to get what they want. Everyone needs to surround themselves with people like that.  

1. Conferences. 

They are super expensive but many offer student discounts. Attending a conference is the best way to learn from professionals who are currently in the field. They are the best people to learn from plus talking to them might lead to getting their contact information.  

Leave the shy version of yourself behind conquer your fears.

Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz