This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

On a recent trip to Jones Beach, I walked from the boardwalk down towards the shore with my yoga mat tucked under my arm.  I had kicked off my shoes and as I walked across the sand, I realized it was not a very hospitable surface for my naked feet!  Of course there are always cans and bottles and cigarette butts littering the beach but it was particularly bad on this day… and beach season was not even close!  I have always liked the idea of a beach cleanup project but it was then that I decided I must find one.

A few days later, as I was scrolling through my school email, I noticed one with the subject line “I Love My Park Day” from SUNY Old Westbury president, Calvin O. Butts!  Now this caught my attention, considering it was coming from the president whose emails are typically in regards to housing and tobacco policies and political activity.  “No tree-flippin’ way,” I thought.  I clicked it, and lo and behold, I was informed that New York State’s annual I Love My Park Day is next Saturday, May 7th! 

“Organized by Parks & Trails New York in partnership with the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and local grassroots groups, the day is meant to celebrate and enhance New York’s state parks and historic sites and bring visibility to the entire park system and its needs.”

YES!

“During the event, volunteers from across the state will celebrate New York’s park system by cleaning up park lands and beaches, planting trees and gardens, restoring trails and wildlife habitat, removing invasive species, and working on various construction and site improvement projects.”

I’M SO DOWN!

And you betcha, I visited that link to find a park and project near me!  Parks all across New York State are participating, from the Adirondacks, to New York City, to Suffolk County!  AND GUESS WHAT?! A shore line clean up of Jones Beach State Park!  So I encourage everyone to find the local park that you love and register to show it some love.  As more lovely weather approaches, let’s all make sure we have beautifully clean parks to visit and enjoy!

http://www.ptny.org/events/i-love-my-park-day

Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island
Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz