How Much Politics Can You Take?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

This article reflects the opinion of the author, and not Her Campus as a whole.

So here we go, yet another article about politics. ICYMI, Trump wants Twitter to see him in court, while the Democrats are unsettled at the rate at which he has been signing executive orders and dealing with his cabinet nominations. What about the rest of the world? The Iraqis are still in turmoil fighting the Islamic State militants while Marine Le Pen is vocalizing her need to fight globalization. Britain is still very much an active participant in the “Political Scene” and Brexit is casting a shadow of doubt on it’s trade, and now Ireland has asked the EU for an “invisible” border post-Brexit.

Don’t stress if you still don’t know the full facts of the current state of affairs. There is too much going on in the world and not just with United States politics. The Indian economy is facing a financial setback due to demonetization of all 500 Rupee, and 1000 Rupee banknotes from the Mahatma Gandhi Series. Norway is planning on getting rid of all its FM radio stations and introduce the DAB radio which will be issued for an extra few hundred kroner in a bid to boost its economy and gain a little capital. The entertainment industry is just overflowing with news about Beyonce’s upcoming twins, Lady Gaga’s Superbowl performance, panic over the North Dakota pipeline being approved and so much more. But politics alone has taken charge with more youth rising up and voicing their concerns. So there is an advantage as people are becoming more proactive and the masses have finally begun to understand the importance of being updated with current affairs. Ignorance is no longer bliss although sometimes it seems more likely as a peaceful option towards continuing a harmonious and less stressful lifestyle.

“I’m quite saturated, politically moist,” jokes Conor Rooney a former student at SUNY Old Westbury. Current student Anna Papandreou says flat out, “I don’t do politics.” There are students on both sides of the political spectrum like Conor and Anna who have washed their hands off of this topic. There are some more ready than ever to take charge, waiting for the next controversy to occur. Student Bobby Reilly, who is also a political activist says that, “This is what we prepared for. Having to fight for what you believe is right can be good. It exercises your reasoning and helps you determine what’s important. And why things are important. Being in the minority helps give you some perspective.” But despite there being major cause for concern, and uncertainty over how the current administration will govern, frustration about not moving forward only drives Bobby further. “A lot of people are unsure or uninvolved… this has helped people understand what they want/believe and has gotten them into the street,” he says.

Mary Rom, a junior at Old Westbury, doesn’t see any interest in politics right now because of a less popular president. She is only there for Bernie: “There are a lot of things going on with politics right now. I was more saturated with the politics surrounding DAPL and causes that Bernie Sanders is involved in such as free tuition. Now that we have a president that is less popular, I find myself less likely to turn on the news and listen to him speak as I would for Bernie sanders.” She is upset that we have elected a president who behaves more like a reality T.V. star rather than an influential public figure. “He really does and that’s kinda sad considering that a lot of youth look up to him,” she says citing the belief that a lot of the youth out there today looking for role models often tend to turn to the POTUS. While that would have been understandable with the Obama family, we are definitely going to have a lot of young people showing expertise in how to look like a bomb pop with an orange pimple on top spewing “alternative facts” and just straightforward lies.

Mary also strongly believes in being as verbose as possible about the issues that concern us however she is also upset about having a president who takes to social media to attack every single person that disagrees with him. “I find that if you have an issue with someone you should speak to them directly, and not use social media as a tool to do so. Especially considering the type of position he’s currently holding.”

We have all become or need to become the best sponges that the world has ever seen because right now is a time where any information matters. Robert Marques, a sophomore, says that he is “not very saturated, the reason is that as of right now it just seems like a bad sitcom. I do try to keep up to date but it has gotten to be such a laugh that I sometimes fail to realize how important it is right now.” He isn’t alone considering I myself among others spend more time jeering at “the most powerful man of the free world,” rather than focusing on the issues that beckon a little bit of alarm including the plight of Planned Parenthood and the EPA. Say goodbye to public education of course because Madame DeVos is going to revolutionize capitalism derived from education. Who’s complaining about their college tuition now? Just kidding, don’t complain, don’t refrain, for nobody knows yet what will happen to all the state, and city universities out there but considering her stance on public education our future seems bleak and riddled by perpetual financial struggles. Robert further says that, “Right now all I can do until another option happens is hope everything goes well and he keeps getting stopped by checks and balances.” So maybe ignorance isn’t an option but denial seems the way to go. The ‘Not My President’s Day Protest March’ is obviously further proof of that and there is hope for impeachment.

Regardless of all of that, we need a breather. We need a week off where none of these problems exist. I know I do – there is so much information, so much to remember, so much happening and sometimes it seems pointless to focus on one given thing. I used to be anti-political, however this election has forced me to come out of the shadows. I predicted the outcome the day Donald Trump decided to run but that is besides the point. I’m a sponge retaining as much as I can but I definitely need to be wrung, and hung out to dry for a little bit. Hey, maybe I will run away to Mexico, and live out the beaches and margaritas life. Don’t feel shy to join me for I will always welcome the company. Adios, Andale, off to the “bad hombres.”

SaveSave

Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island