This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Freshman year through sophomore year I dormed and played sports. Basically my schedule was very routine. I woke up, ate breakfast, went to class, ate lunch. went to work study, had my hour or two down time, and then either went to practice or played a game. I spent most of my time with the same people on the team, and we ate dinner together every night. You can easily get sick of the same people every day, which was usually the time I decided to go home or spend with my boyfriend at the time (now husband). We were held at a grade requirement like all student athletes, anything under a certain GPA and you were not allowed to play the following semester. So that basically put pressure on you to get good grades, and squeeze in homework and study time. Yes, I basically had a very part time social life, not that I have ever had one anyway, but playing the sport I love really seemed worth it.

This semester is my first time not living on campus, or playing a sport. Very new, but less stressful than I thought. I feel like my days are honestly much longer and different. I only have classes Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:30AM-7:00PM, and my classes are spaced out by at least an hour or two in which I either take a nap, eat, go to club meetings, do homework, catch up with friends, or attend any events. All of these are things I never really had the time available for throughout the day when I was an athlete. I also picked up a new job with the Red Bulls training kids Friday-Sunday, which is helping me pay for my new car. I would have never bought a new car as a student athlete, my schedule wouldn’t have allowed it. For once in my life I have two days off Tuesday and Thursday, and on those days I sleep in, do homework, and pay bills.

Choosing what I like better is really hard as I am still adjusting to the commuter life, but so far I really enjoy it. Yet playing soccer for Old Westbury was a great experience, and I do miss it so much, especially because this is my first year since middle school that I am not playing what we call “fall ball.” Both sides have advantages and disadvantages, and I’m simply learning to adjust to the change.

Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.