Catherine Fowler: The Perfect Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Name: Catherine Fowler

Hometown: Chatham, NY

Birthday: September 15th

Major: PEL (Politics, Economics and Law)

Grad Date: May’17 (Junior)

What are you involved in on campus?

“I am in World Changers (Christian fellowship) and I work in the Tutoring center and I am in the Honors College. I think that’s all I’m doing for this semester, anyways.”

What were you involved with in past semester?

“I was a women’s center intern, PEL (Politics, Economics and Law) club Vice President, worked at radio station for as semester as an intern ,admissions tour guide and I gave a speech for open house admissions and I am in the club and class Model UN.”

Wow, busy lady!

(Laughing)

Do you have any pets?

“I do! I have a German Shepard; her name is Lady. She’s so old now. Really her skin sags and she can’t run anymore, but she’s cute. We’ve had her for like ten years.”

I know you are really into music. What type of music do you like to listen to?

“I’ve very all over the place; I really like any type of music. I really love 50s and 60s, I love the classics like Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, but then I love Otis Redding, because he’s the man! But I like folk music, so listen to Mumford and Sons and I also listen to some R&B.  I don’t really like Rap too much unless they are saying something meaningful. But I really like singers and I love music and artistry. When the music and band are good and the vocalist is good I really like them.”

What instruments do you play?

“I love singing . And I’ve played the string base for ten years, and when I came to college I learned to play the ukulele, then the guitar and the banjo.”

Have you ever left the country?

“Yes, I lived in France for a year as an exchange student. And even when I was in the country I traveled around inside of France and didn’t go to different countries. So yeah, that’s the only place I’ve been to. But the idea of traveling the world is my dream because I can’t settle down in one place.” (laughing)

Do you speak French?

“Yes, I’m fluent. I was there for a year and everything was in French, from my classes, TV, Radio. So like after six months, I understood everything being there.”

If you could learn any other language, what would it be?

“I’m actually leaning Spanish right now! Arabic also, because I want to go to Jerusalem next year to teach kids to speak English.”

Give three fun facts about yourself.

“I don’t know if this is fun but I can dance at all.(laughing) I love to bake! I bake so many cookies and cupcakes. Oh! I have a habit of picking hobbies and do them really well and move on to something else. Knitting is one of them, I can’t think of all of them but I’m really good at mastering stuff and moving on. Not that I get bored! But I just want more!”

What advice would you give college women when it comes to conquering everything?

“The one thing that I always tell women is to know their worth and how valuable they are. Because I see some women on campus who don’t know how beautiful they are, how perfectly made they are. They do things that damage themselves and other people because they don’t know their true identity. For me, I didn’t know my identity for a while and because of God and God affirming me “I am making you my daughter, and nothing you do can make me stop loving you”. That was a huge thing and shame was just gone. Because of that I feel like I never have to look for that in a man. I don’t ever have to look for someone to make me feel good about myself because I know I matter. Just women in general, know that you are loved and that you are beautiful.”

Titi Marquis

Old Westbury

A Senior Media and Communications Major and Co-Correspondent at SUNY Old Westbury
Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz