Brandon Giddens Morris AKA Static

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Hometown: Westbury, NY before Rosedale, Queens

Major: Sociology

Grad Date: May’16 (Senior)

You probably definitely seen Brandon around campus, in your class or walking around on campus. He’s hard to miss with his awesome afro and amazing b-boy skills. You probably recognize him the most when he is in front of the theater in the campus center practicing his skills with his dance crew.  Brandon talks about his journey to break dancing, how it changed his life and how he wants to leave a legacy at Old Westbury.

Do you have a b-boy name or nickname? Yes, every break dancer, B-boy or B-girl usually has a nickname that they go by when they are teaching or competing.

How was that nickname given to you?  It was given to me by the people who got me into dancing. Because I looked like the comic book character Static Shock. The dark skin, because we both have hair that’s out there [big hair]. The character has dreads but I have a big curly afro. The name kinda just stuck since 2010.

When did this whole journey start? In 2010, was going to Nassau Community College (NCC) I used to be the Vice President of one of the clubs there. While I was there I would see the NCC breakers club and just watch them from afar. One day one of them invited me inside and his name [is] Eugene and b -boy Spidey. It was really cool to watch them. I never saw it done before at the school [ NCC] After a month of dropping in and getting know faces, one of the guys named Evan goes by the name b-boy Pools suggested that I try [ break dancing]. I said maybe at this point because I was shy at this point and learn to talk to new people.  I went with them to b-boy completion (b-boy jam) a few weeks later. It was something like you see in a Step Up movie. The energy, the crowd, the music … [like] wow this is hip hop. That was my real introduction to hip hop. When most people hear the word hip hop they just refer the genre of music. It’s much deeper than that. They’re four elements to hip hop: B-boying, Graffiti writing, MC (the most common one) and DJ. It was such a positive [experience] looking back I knew I wanted to be a part of it. I didn’t start dancing until the end of 2010. I was obsessed, I would practice every day.  I was like a kid having a new toy to play with.  Prior to this, I didn’t like to dance.

Really?

I was really self-conscious about me dancing. That’s why I didn’t go to my prom

Laughing

It’s like you did an 180 [degrees]

It helped me grow in many ways. It really helps counter my shyness. It helped me with my confidence and being more social.

How else does break dancing help you?

It slowly directed me into having a healthier lifestyle. After I started, I didn’t have the guidance, we were in mutual space ….I would just emulate what I saw.  A lot of it would result in failure, trial, and error.  Started stretching .After a while, I would watch what I eat. This mentality would grow over time. Six years later, due to dancing, it does keep me in shape. I don’t go to the gym, the dance moves I’m doing helped keep me in shape.

How long have you been doing breakdancing at Old Westbury?

The first time I did dance here was in the New Academic Lounge was just built [2012].  In the lounge (2nd floor) I would practice.  One student who was a b-boy saw me practiced and he’s like “can I get down with you” [battled] and we when for three rounds and then we just gave each other a dap. I would invite break dancers other schools to come practice with me and this would draw people in and they would get interested in break dancing. Since 2012, I taught over 20 students how to break dance. 

Are you involved with any clubs or organization?

I am currently in the process of starting a club for break dancers. I am currently talking to SGA to get the process going.

When do you meet to dance?

Monday and Wednesday [in front of the Maguire Theater]

You are really into art?

Yes, I do Photographer as well. I take my mother’s footsteps because she’s a photographer as well. I have been doing that for 8 years.

Where can people contact you? Do you have social media?

Instagram: Bboystatic

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I see myself teaching [break dancing] and doing competitive dancing

Titi Marquis

Old Westbury

A Senior Media and Communications Major and Co-Correspondent at SUNY Old Westbury