This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

As a black girl born and raised in Queens, I had to eat my way through the best restaurants in town. There are some that I swore I would never try again and, others that I keep going back for more. I’m not acting like a judge on Top Chef, but I will share my favorite places to eat as a Queens native. These favorites I’ve listed will make you be willing to wait long lines and leave stuffed with a doggy bag.

1. THE DOOR

If you say their restaurant in a sentence “Hey where we going to eat?” When they respond “The Door.” Don’t get confused, and you will probably leave being best friends with whoever you eat with after. The Door restaurant is right is the heart of Jamaica, Queens. This establishment has everything a person dreams of when they go out to eat: pleasant atmosphere, beautiful décor, and can’t forget amazing food. Anytime you walk into this place it is always packed whether Friday night for happy hour, or Sunday after church. The dishes they served there range from a variety of chicken specialties, curry goat,  oxtails, and even fish. I promise when you are done eating you are going to want to lick that plate clean. The customer service at The Door is second to none. Everyone from the greeter to the waiter provides superior customer service. This, in addition to their delicious dishes, makes you want to return again and again.

2. RCL

This restaurant is very near and dear to my heart because I practically grew up there. It goes by various neighborhood names such as RCL, Rockaway Fish House, or just Fish House. Whatever name you choose to use, everyone will agree there will be a line out the door with neighborhood folks looking for homemade Southern dishes to go.  When entering this place you are welcomed by the abundance of food. This place serves everything from potato salad, fried chicken, ribs, but obviously known for their crispy golden fried fish. The wait for their food is long since its one of Queen’s hotspots, but it is well worth the line.  They pile on the food, making it even Insta worthy. When you leave don’t forget to buy a dessert, their sweet potato pie is to die for.

3. Southern Girls

If you couldn’t tell I am Southern Girl and proud of it. I was introduced to this place by my boyfriend and I couldn’t believe he found them before me. The first thing that impressed me was Southern Girls is run by women, which is A-1 for me because it reminds me of my roots and my Aunt’s fabulous Thanksgiving dinners. The prime time to go here is on Sunday’s for- you guessed it- Brunch. They have a buffet style so you are able to try all the delicious food they have to offer. Come with an empty belly and your stretchy pants so you will have room for more. 

If you visit any of these places you won’t regret it and I guarantee that will be going back for more.

A Junior at SUNY Old Westbury. Studying Psychology with a Minor in Social Work. Aspiring to be a School Psychologist. I love food, and dogs more than people.
Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.