The Adventurous: Alexandria AKA Alex!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Name: Alexandria Garner AKA Ali/Alex

Birthday: June 14th (Flag day)

Hometown: Canandaigua, NY

Major: Media and Communications

Grad Date: Fall 2016 (Alumna)

What are your plans after graduation?

Currently I’m looking for an internship in New-York City. After that, I hope to get a job in the city or Los Angeles. I basically live at Old Westbury Web Radio (OWWR), I work there at least 30 hours a week. I’m there all the time! I intern there as well as work study, and I’m the Assistant Production Director now. I want to work at Top 40 stations!

How do you want to be involved in radio in the future? Would you like to be on the air or behind the scenes?

I think it’s important to try a little bit of everything.  I believe that’s it’s important to know what’s behind the scenes first and then move up in the world so that you’re not just a face; I want to be confident in what I’m doing.

How did you know that you wanted to work in the radio business?

I didn’t know originally. I went through three different majors before I ended up here and fell in love with radio. I have a degree in Recording Technology, but that’s more like recording music. I liked it, but I didn’t feel like I got to interact with people as much as I do in radio. I like people, so I wanted to do something that connected music with people.

What is your passion?

I love to sing. Of course in a dream world anyone who performs would like to survive on performing alone. As you know, it’s also a very competitive field so it’s very rare to make a living out of it.  I make it a mission to stay with music the best way I can while being able to sustain life. I am still going to perform as I go but this is a way for me to bring music to other people. I had always loved Top 40 music! People are always like “I’m too cool for top 40, its stupid pop music.” I was a JB (Justin Beiber) fan; I cried over him, I was a “fangirl”.  I get why people cry over stars! I did it so I get it. I want to bring music to these people, those fans who are so dedicated. I want to give them opportunities to do what I have done, like going on concerts, listen to the radio and hear whom they love.

Currently, who is you favorite musician/band?

I have to make sure that it is current LOL. I am not very good at choosing favorites it changes everyday. Right now it’s probably between two artists. I’m about to see both of them! “Mumford & Sons,” they’re from the UK (United Kingdom) and they are like real musicians. I also like “The 1975” also a UK group, I’ve loved them for years. I met them! They’re very nice guys, also real musicians! Those are my favorites because they have very deep music.

You really love the UK! Have you ever considered moving there?

Yes! I lived there for two months for a summer session. Anytime I walk around and something reminds me of it I immediately tear up because I miss it so much. I have never felt more at home than I did in London. I have lived in the same place for 22  years and I have never felt as at home as I did in England for those two months. My end goal is to definitely move to London but before that, I want to live in every big city a little bit. I want to live in New York, L.A, maybe Chicago and then move to London for my final destination, where I would have a family and stuff.

Describe yourself in one word.

Adventurous. I like to be adventurous whether it’s my ambitions or traveling. For example I decided to go somewhere and drove height hours by myself four states over. I’m a little impulsive but I like to call it adventurous.

Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz