This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Anete Lūsiņa on Unsplash

New beginnings are the perfect time to reflect and plan for what’s to come. Right now, specifically, is the perfect time – it’s a new year and a new semester.

When you hear the words “new semester”, how do you feel? Anxious, exhausted, excited?

Whatever you feel, it’s important to orient your mindset towards success in all aspects of your life. I am going to give you five simple tips that you can start doing today to give you your best semester yet.

1. Use a planner.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: you’re browsing a store with high hopes of color-coded organization and you spot the perfect Bandō planner. It’s colorful, most likely has a cute saying on it and has stickers. STICKERS.  

You tell yourself; “I’m going to write everything in here. Every single class, assignment and coffee date is getting penciled in.” You take it home, slap a few stickers on that sucker and toss it in your bag never to be seen again.  

If that sounds familiar, you’re in good company. I have subjected about 3 planners to that exact same fate, but no longer. This semester I’m planning. Or at least planning to plan, which hopefully counts for something.  

If you’re completely new to the planning game like I am, search for a few “Plan With Me” videos on YouTube. There are so many resources out there, many different planning methods and styles to choose from and it looks like something that can actually be sort of fun if you really get into it.  

2. Get some sleep.

Studies have shown that adults need at least eight hours of sleep each night. That sounds so extreme, but getting proper sleep is incredibly important for your mental and physical health.

Between studying and going to classes, it’s easy to find yourself running on a lousy three hours of sleep some days. Apparently that just won’t cut it.

To combat days like that, I encourage you to create a sleep schedule and night routine that works for you. Switch your phone to night mode, only play soft music and meditate if you can.  

Photo by Vladislav Muslakov on Unsplash

3. Actually do the reading.

If I could, I would get “I didn’t do the reading!” tattooed on my forehead just so people would stop asking me. Everyone hates doing the reading, but it’s a necessary evil.

Apparently, professors assign readings for a reason. I guess they contain valuable information or something like that. I wouldn’t know.  

Maybe I’m hypocritical for suggesting that you do the reading, but this semester I will do my best to do them, too. Even if I literally get bored to tears, I will do the reading.

4. Clean your space.

This might be my most important tip because your outside environment is a direct reflection of your inside thoughts.

Do you want to feel clear-headed and calm? Then clean your space.

Your bedroom should be an oasis for you, a place that has amazing energy and makes you feel perfectly calm.  

Cleaning is therapeutic, so turn on your favorite music and tackle your room bit by bit. If you want to go the extra mile, you can add some ambient lighting and diffuse essential oils for a really peaceful vibe.

Photo by Gades Photography on Unsplash

5. Be kind to yourself.

I can guarantee that this semester will be a pain if you aren’t kind to yourself. Of course, you should be kind to others as well, but don’t neglect yourself in doing so.

Realize that you are amazing and always doing the best you can. Don’t doubt yourself.

I don’t care how corny I sound, this is important, and you need to hear it. If the thought “this doesn’t apply to me” just crossed your mind, read it twice.

Even if you only choose to implement a couple of these tips, I promise that they will have a major impact on the quality of your semester and life as a whole.  

Amanda Wilkins

Oklahoma '22

Amanda Wilkins is a Freshman Journalism major at the University of Oklahoma.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!