Girl With Snow In Trees 1
Girl With Snow In Trees 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Winter Break Survival Kit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Ylanite Koppens from Pexels

With the semester finally coming to an end, the long awaited winter break is finally here. It’s time to unwind and relax with friends and family, while also getting into the holiday spirit. From clothes, to beauty routines, to snacks, and Christmas adventures, this will give you everything you need to have the most fulfilling winter break yet!

Image via Pinterest

Clothes

Braving a cold winter can be absolutely dreadful! However, there are trendy ways to dress for the weather, that will keep you from hibernating in bed all day!

Coats

Teddy coats are the perfect winter statement piece and perfect for braving the cold. They also come in a variety of shapes and colors that are suitable for every occasion! There are plenty of affordable coats at retailers like Shein, Zaful, and even this fun reversible one from Amazon!

Accessories

Beanies and scarves are perfect additions to spice up any outfit, but they also provide additional warmth! Items like blanket scarves are so versatile and can be worn in a variety of cute ways!

Image via Pinterest

Holiday Decor

Fairy Lights

Nothing says Christmas like lights! Putting fairy lights around the room or just in glass jars will add the perfect winter ambiance to any room.

Throw Pillows and Blanket

The perfect way to transform your room is with festive bedding! A throw blanket and a couple pillows are sure to do the trick!

Tinsel and Garland

Tinsel and garland are simply decorations that you can simply throw over your headboard or hang around a mirror!

Image via Pinterest

Festive Treats

Cracker Toffee

This 4 ingredient recipe requires only saltine crackers, butter, brown sugar, and chocolate chips. The result? A decadent treat to satisfy all mouths!

Cream Cheese Peppermint Brownies

This festive brownie upgrade is the perfect dessert to bring to any holiday party!

Nutella Hot Chocolate

This rich and nutty spin on classic hot chocolate is my new go to and definitely a crowd pleaser! ​Recipe here.

Oreo Peppermint Bark

This recipe is another fun take on a holiday staple! You can find the recipe here.

Image via Pinterest

Winter Ideas

Light Shows

Driving through a Christmas light show is the perfect way to get in the holiday spirit, while staying inside your car. To make the night even better bring along some hot chocolate and popcorn for the ride.

Ice Skating

Nothing says winter like ice skating with your significant other or a group of friends! If ice skating isn’t your speed, opt to sit on the sidelines and watch a hockey game instead.

Christmas Tree Lighting

Even if you’re not in Rockefeller Center, visiting your local town center for a tree lighting is sure to brighten up your day! Be sure to grab some hot cocoa beforehand and enjoy the festivities!

Cookie Exchange

A cookie exchange is the perfect way to get your gals together! Everyone bakes a dozen cookies and then at the end everyone goes home with a variety of tasty treats! If you wanna spice things up, you can have people vote on the most festive cookie, most delicious, etc.

Build Gingerbread Houses

Another fun, yet competitive, way to get into the holiday spirit is to pop in a movie and make a gingerbread village with your friends and family.

Decorate Ornaments

If your balling on a budget, or simply looking for something to do, making your own christmas ornaments is a great way to get ready for Christmas! This can be done alone or with your favorite people.

Melissa is currently a Junior at the University of Oklahoma where she is pursuing her degree in criminology. Aside from writing for HerCampus, Melissa is involved in greek-life as a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, the honor society of Alpha Lambda Delta, and her university's criminology club. A Jersey native, she enjoys spending her weekends in the city or at the beach with friends, as well as shopping and listening to music.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!