Girl On Rooftop Nyc
Girl On Rooftop Nyc
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Why It’s Okay to Spend Time Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

I was born and raised in Oklahoma, and it has been seven months since I have lived in the state I once called home. 

When I was first told that I was being offered an internship in New York, I was excited. But with that excitement came an immense amount of worry. 

What if I’m not good enough?

What if I’m not smart enough?  

Since I finished my junior year of college, I have spent approximately 12 days home––Only 12 days with my family, boyfriend and friends. For seven months I have been alone. 

Loneliness was something that I had never really been accustomed to before. Now, halfway through my senior year, I am so grateful for the experiences that I have had. 

Growing up, I always told myself that I would never let anything––or any person––hold me back from the things that I had always dreamed for myself. Now, at 21 years old, I realized that it was not fear of other people that held me back for so long, but the fear of myself. 

Leaving home was hard. Harder than I could have ever imagined. But, through those difficult times, I found I strength that I didn’t know I had. 

I have always been a contradiction. I grew up as an extrovert who also loved to be alone. Leaving home forced me to leave my comfort zone. It forced me to grow as a person, a journalist and a woman. It forced me to learn many things very quickly.

I have learned that women are strong, powerful and worthy of the opportunities that come to them. Far too often, women talk themselves out of big breaks because of fear. But, I am here to tell you that fear has no place in a woman’s world. 

We are strong. No matter what anyone makes you feel, you are worthy of the successes that come to you. You are as capable––if not more capable––than your male classmates are. 

Being alone should not scare you, but it should ignite you.

Getting this internship was my big break, and it was my one chance to prove that I was more than just an Oklahoma girl. You should never feel like you are too small to fulfill your big dreams. 

If there is one thing I could beg of you, it is to never not take an opportunity because you are afraid––afraid to be alone, afraid of being inferior or afraid that you may fail. You are worthy of the good things that come to you. Never second guess your worthiness, and never fear the future. 

Life has a way of taking unexpected turns, but know that you have a spirit strong enough to endure the tough times and a heart brave enough to succeed through the triumphs. Don’t ever be afraid to be alone. It is the time spent in solitude that helps shape us as strong, powerful women.

Addison Kliewer

Oklahoma '20

Journalism senior at the University of Oklahoma. Lover of all things pumpkin, coffee, books, new friends and expressing opinions through subpar writing.