element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why It’s 100% Okay to be Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

College. It’s a time, man. For a lot of us, we’re miles from home — we’re making new adventures, new friends, and new struggles. Some of these struggles include being, or not being, in a relationship. I’m here to tell you why it’s totally okay to be single in college.

Photo by Levi Guzman on Unsplash

College is one of the most important times in your life. You’re learning a subject that you hope to spend the rest of your life doing while spending thousands of dollars to learn these skills. You don’t need any distractions.

You don’t have to worry about anyone’s feelings. This sounds insensitive but it’s true. You can do whatever (or whomever) you want, and you don’t have to worry about making anyone mad or asking permission first. College is a time to have fun and be free.

It’s okay to focus on yourself. For me, after I got out of a very serious, long-term relationship I didn’t know who I was anymore. I didn’t know who to be without someone who loved me. It became my whole focus to try and find someone else to fill the void until suddenly I realized the longer I went without being in a relationship the more I liked myself. I found who I really was. I suddenly realized that I would never be able to be happy in a relationship until I learned how to love myself. I would have always been suspicious and insecure about my partner. Now I complete me. You can’t truly love someone until you first learn to love yourself.

You meet your best friends in college. These people become some of the most important individuals in your life. It always happens in weird ways too. You’re getting ice cream and then suddenly you’ve been sitting in your car in the parking lot for 3 hours telling them your whole life story. You then look up and think “how did I get here,” but you realize that you don’t regret anything you’ve told them. They’re stuck with you now. They know too much. If you have a S.O. you might be missing those moments that change everything. Don’t miss out on the late-night Taco Bell runs, don’t miss out on the times where you’re laughing so hard that you’re crying, and don’t miss out on being the person they need.

Also, why would you need a significant other when food exists?

SaveSave

Morgan is a social work major with minors in social justice and Spanish at the University of Oklahoma. In her free time, Morgan enjoys reading, writing, getting tattoos, watching Netflix, fighting the patriarchy, and taking naps.