This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by César Couto on Unsplash

On Friday, I received a text from my roommate saying she was told some life-changing news. Suddenly the words “I am so sorry” just weren’t enough. I am not great at comforting people, but I so desperately wanted her to know that I am always there for her. This letter is for her, as well as anyone else who needs to hear this.

There are no words I could say that could take away your pain. There is nothing I could say that would make this situation hurt any less, even though I wish there was. I wish I could say that I know how you feel, but, honestly, I don’t. No one should have to know how you feel in this moment.

What I want you to know is that you are strong. Far stronger than I ever could be. You have inspired me to always look on the bright side of things, even when it feels like the world is crumbling to pieces. When I see you, I see someone who has been through things no 20-year-old should have to experience, but I also see someone who stands tall despite the weight on your shoulders.

I know that I don’t always show it, but I am here for you through anything. I don’t ask you how you are enough because I worry that talking about it will make you more upset. However, I hope you know that I will always be your shoulder to cry on, your ears to vent to, and your friend through all of the hurt. You are so brave, and I hope that one day I can be as strong as you are.

Addison Kliewer

Oklahoma '20

Journalism senior at the University of Oklahoma. Lover of all things pumpkin, coffee, books, new friends and expressing opinions through subpar writing.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!