Kayla Bacon-Friends With Flowers
Kayla Bacon-Friends With Flowers
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Reasons Why You Don’t Need To Be In A Relationship Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Ahmet Sali on Unsplash

As the holidays approach, everyone has one thing on their mind: who they’re going to spend it with. But in reality, here’s why you don’t need a relationship to make the most of the season. 

The past few years, “cuffing season” has been becoming more and more prominent, not only on social media, but in everyday life. Whether it’s a tweet about preparing for cuffing season, holiday date ideas, or those cheesy Hallmark movies, there are reasons all around us to feel lonely. In all reality, the holidays are a great time to be single! 

Preparing for the holidays is stressful. Figuring out when you’re going where, when you’re seeing friends, when you’re going gift shopping, what you’re getting for people, and finals?! A person can only do so much and that’s without a relationship. Imagine adding more gifts, more money, and more time away from your family on top of that, especially since everyone is a broke college student. 

After finals week, we finally get a break from all of our hard work. Wouldn’t you rather have time to yourself to take a bath, do a facemask, and sleep as long as you want without having to worry about texting someone back so they don’t feel like you’re ignoring them? Take your break to recover and rejuvenate yourself instead of focusing on someone else, because that doesn’t the popular definition of self-care.

A relationship is a lot to juggle during the holiday season. So why be sad about not being able to be stressed out? Instead, there are so many better things to do with just yourself, friends, or family. 

1. Self Care

After finals, the best thing to do is go home, use your own shower, sleep in your own bed, and, if you’re like me, a hot bath! Taking time to treat yourself and worry about nobody other than you is the best way to spend the holiday season and prepare you for the new year. 

Image via Pinterest

2. Friendsgiving and Friendsmas

Who needs a significant other when you can have a great time with a close group of friends? Instead of planning expensive dates and gifts for one person, plan a small casual gathering with friends, have a potluck, or white elephant! Those are the kind of memories that are going to last a lifetime.

Image via Pinterest

3. Christmas Movies!

Just because you like someone or you’re in a relationship, doesn’t mean this is going to be fun. Last year, I was in a relationship during the holidays, and my ex wanted to watch Christmas movies. Taking his feelings into consideration, I was obliged to watch his favorite movie even though I hated it. In turn, he refused to watch my favorite Christmas movie, which of course left me sad for the rest of the night. The next day, I made my own bowl of popcorn, curled up in bed, and watched it by myself and had a better time than if I had watched it with him. 

Image via Pinterest

4. Family Traditions

A significant other is the perfect way to ruin all of your holiday traditions, so why have one? Skipping a tradition for the sake of someone who might not be around that long is NOT the move. Every New Year’s Eve dinner my family has king crab legs, and I am NEVER missing that tradition again. 

Image via Pinterest

5. Freedom

Hear me out ladies, the worst thing about being in a relationship during the holidays is feeling obligated to shave your legs, when it’s the last thing any girl wants to do. No relationship? NO PROBLEM. Wear your pajamas everywhere, don’t shave, don’t do your makeup on Christmas morning (unless you want to because you’re a queen), and don’t worry about how you spend your time! The holidays are for you and your  family, and you don’t need anyone else.

Image via Pinterest

Jessica Klinger

Oklahoma '23

Contact: klinger.jess@ou.edu Instagram: Jessica.klinger Blog: http://jessicaklinger.oucreate.com