Netflix Movie Review – To All the Boys I Used to Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Masha Weisberg on Teen Vogue 

While there is plenty of rage of this new Netflix movie, To All the Boys I Used to Love, I personally was not the biggest fan of the movie.  The plot summed up is basically that Lara Jean (Lara Condor) writes letters and addresses them throughout her life to 5 boys she loved at one point: Peter, Josh, Lucas, Kenny, and John Ambrose. Then her little sister, Kitty, played by Anna Cathcart, sends them out to these boys WITHOUT Lara Jean knowing.

The next day she finds out they have these letters, she kisses Peter Kavinski (Noah Centineo) and they fake a relationship.  Long story short they fall in love and the rest is history.

While the plot line was a cute idea, the only great thing about this movie was the casting.  I mean seriously Noah Centineo…could it get much more attractive than him? And holy cow, Lara you are gorgeous!  Talk about S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G.

I think that the plot line wasn’t original enough.  I mean if we are going to talk about fake relationships in movies let’s talk about How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.  Benjamin Berry (Matthew McConaughey) literally pays this girl, Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson), to fall in love with him…then he ends up falling in love with her!  This is my favorite romance movie of all time, so I may be a little bit biased but when you steal a plot line, bias is a little bit warranted. In my eyes To All the Boys I Used to Love was cheesy.  

Last but not least, let’s talk about how Peter didn’t even stick up for Lara at the end when things began to come out!  I know the whole movie can’t be a perfect romance for the two “fakers”, but this just enhances the idea that it is okay for guys to do this to girls.  There are plenty of times something like this or very similar has happened to a girl, for a guy’s gain, and it just isn’t right. So, in my opinion, I don’t think that this is something that should be promoted and is super sexist.  

I did watch the movie though because I wanted to see what all the Hype was about.  However, I thought it was okay. It belongs on Netflix and not the big screen is what it comes down to.  I liked it, but definitely not a movie I would sit down and watch again.

Mac Crone

Oklahoma '20

Mac is a sophomore at OU, from Florida, studying management information systems, pre law, with a minor in politcal science.  She is involved in sports and politics, with the plans to continue both after college.  She is passionate about writing and hopes to influence others in some way through it.  
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!