This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash

Dear Teachers,

I didn’t realize how blessed I was to go to a school outside the state of Oklahoma. I didn’t realize how privileged I was to sit in blue, plastic chairs. I didn’t realize that copy paper came at a premium and so did teachers’ pride.

I didn’t know much about what a teacher did when they weren’t physically teaching students. I didn’t realize the hours they spent preparing lessons, talking with parents on the phone or in person, purchasing materials for their classroom, coaching students, tutoring students, giving them a safe space to talk, or having lunchroom duty.

I’ve been encouraged to follow my dreams. I’ve been told to keep dreaming, to keep reading, to keep writing, and to follow whatever path I want. I’ve been given tools that are beyond words.

You taught me how to study, how to process information, how to learn, and how to teach others. You taught me that the catalyst of World War I was the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. I learned trigonometry (twice) and oxford commas. I learned words like connotation and psychoneuroimmunology. But above all, you taught me to love to learn. To want to know as much about the world as I could learn. You taught me to be curious and to stay curious.

A lot of you could have given up on me the second I opened my big mouth during class. A lot of you could have simply given me a grade and moved on. But you didn’t. You stayed the course with me and invested a lot of your time, energy, and wisdom into me. You knew one day I would make a difference in someone’s life, just as you had made a difference in me.

I wish I could tell you now how grateful I am for all your support, all your work, and all your energy. Without having been in your classrooms, I would not be at my dream university pursuing a major I love. Without you, I would not have the confidence to speak out, to lead discussions, or ask questions. Without you, I would not be curious.

I guess what I’m saying is thank you. I attend school in Oklahoma. Teachers are not being paid enough to do their job or provide for their students. There are too many students in too few classrooms with too few teachers. They need help. I didn’t realize how privileged, how blessed, and how incredible of an opportunity it is to learn. Teachers are fighting for their worth and for their students.

Now that I look back on many years of school, it finally clicked with me. I’m so lucky to have sat in your classroom, to have talked with you, and to have struggled with material with you.

Sincerely,

Forever Grateful for my Teachers 

Meagan Loyd is a senior at the University of Oklahoma studying Professional Writing at Gaylord College of Journalism. She loves Target, Starbucks, quarter-zip sweatshirts, Chicago Cubs Baseball, Sooner Football, and all of the books!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!