This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

The Oscars are a couple weeks away and it’s time to start checking those movies off before the ceremony airs. 2018 was a good year for the movies. Looking at the nomination list, it’s quite the variety of movie genres. There’s something for everyone on the nominee list, but here are my must-sees (in no particular order).

Perhaps the most surprising and accessible is Netflix’s Roma. This movie about a young domestic worker in Mexico City tells the story of domestic strife and political turmoil in the 1970s. Roma also happens to be Netflix’s first Best-Picture nomination which effectively lands it on the list of must-sees. Also, everyone knows someone who has Netflix so it is the easiest to watch right from home for free.

Another movie readily available on Netflix is Black Panther. Even if you don’t like Marvel, this should be on your list to watch. Marvel is good at putting out great movies and Black Panther is one of them. The detail alone that went into the movie is impressive. Grab some popcorn and make Roma and Black Panther a double feature.

Image via Marvel

Next on my list is one that I’d be impressed if you made it through 2018 without hearing about it; Bohemian Rhapsody. The biopic following the rise of Queen and the life of Freddie Mercury took the country by storm. Even if you’re not a Queen fan, I can guarantee you won’t be able to resist the foot stomping beat of We Will Rock You and even by the end you might be in tears. A colorful and gripping tribute to an icon, this movie is a must-see no matter what.

A movie that the trailer had me wondering if it would even be good but scored 10 nominations and praise, The Favourite is a must-see. Period films can dance between cheesy and intriguing, but The Favourite falls on the side of the latter.

If you love thrillers and genius sound editing, A Quiet Place is the movie that should be at the top of your list. Probably better watched at home than the theater where everyone is chomping on popcorn, A Quiet Place is chilling in the lack of sound the movie offers. It is best watched at night without any sounds and is sure to make you jump.

Image via Paramount Pictures

One of my top movies of 2018, A Star is Born is a must-see. The re-make of a classic storyline, the movie holds you and doesn’t let you go. Who knew Bradley Cooper could sing? I sure didn’t until I watched this movie. It has all the elements of a great film and just also happens to be Cooper’s debut as a director.

While there are so many more great films nominated, these are the ones that I feel are musts before the ceremony airs. Some have been released to DVD or digital already, but theaters are pulling some back in for a limited time.

Cinemark, AMC and Regal cinemas are all having Best Picture marathons at reasonable prices. No matter where you are, a theater is showing one of the movies mentioned above.

Hi, my name is Bayley Dempewolf. I am a junior marketing major here at OU. Netflix is my middle name and I love reading anything I can get my hands on. Vine was gone too soon. Traveling and trying new things are my newfound passions.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!