This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Devin Avery on Unsplash

Spring break is only five short weeks away! Not that I’ve been counting. Anyway, I know that for a lot of people, spring break entails something like an exotic getaway to the beach, or maybe a ski resort if that’s more your thing. But sometimes, big plans are just not on the agenda. If you’re not willing to spend a fortune, you’re not very good at planning ahead or you just want to keep it low-key, here are some spring break trips that you can do on a whim that won’t break the bank!

Explore OKC

Ride OKC gives bike tours that acquaint you with all that OKC has to offer—there’s more than you would think, I promise! There are several stops along the way where you can try the different local breweries and learn about Oklahoma’s history, architecture and art.

Catch up on Reading

If you’re anything like me, you have a long list of to-read books that, sadly, don’t get a lot of attention due to mounting piles of homework and the busyness of life in general. Take advantage of your week off to read that book you’ve been wanting to read but never have the time to.

Check Out Local music

There’s a lot going on in the music scene in and around OKC! Plus, you get to support local musicians while enjoying their live performances and exploring the surrounding area—there are many cool places to eat in OKC, especially downtown. ACM@UCO in Bricktown, for example, frequently hosts a wide range of artists in its venue.

Photo by Ben Neale on Unsplash

Take a (Short) Road Trip

This one’s a little more adventurous, but still pretty low-key, since you don’t even have to leave the state. Oklahoma may not have the most exciting attractions, but you might be surprised at the number of things to do if you look deep enough. Here are some unique activities you might enjoy:

An elephant reserve in Hugo, Oklahoma, where you can visit some endangered elephants.  

Ride dirt bikes or ATVs across sand dunes of Little Sahara State Park. (Renting is reasonably priced and available nearby).

Cross skydiving off your bucket list at Oklahoma Skydiving Center in Cushing (between OKC and Tulsa)!

Hi, my name is Carrie and I am a Professional Writing junior minoring in sociology at the University of Oklahoma. I enjoy tutoring writing, playing my guitar, creating Spotify playlists, or reading random stories on Quora.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!