This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Image via Metro News

Coming back from winter break is often a challenge for many of us OU students. A big part of the struggle is going a whole semester without football games, one of OU’s biggest attractions. However, here are several things that will help you survive in the football off-season.

1. Attend other OU sports games. OU’s softball team is currently ranked #4 in the nation and they have been to the world series the past 3 years in a row, leaving with 2 national champion titles. However if you are not a fan of softball you might find yourself enjoying basketball, baseball, track and field, or rugby

2. Explore Oklahoma City. When in Oklahoma City you can be adventurous and head to Frontier City Theme Park, Oklahoma City River Sport, SandRidge Sky Trail/Zip. If you are looking for something more mellow to do consider going to the zoo and Bricktown where you can stroll at your own pace or enjoy a nice ride in one of Bricktown’s water taxis.

Photo by Gerson Repreza on Unsplash

3. Tired of campus corner? Head over to main street! Main street features lots of good restaurants, as well as stores. You’ll even find unique little finds like the record store next to Syrup. Main street also makes for super cute insta posts because it has loads of cute murals!

4. Volunteer! Spring semester has many great events benefitting local causes including: Soonerthon, Relay for Life, and Big Event. If you are unable to attend any of these events you can grab a group of friends and volunteer at the Norman Food Pantry, Meals on Wheels or the Habitat for Humanity Restore. All are great causes that benefit our community!

Image via Civic Plus

5. Join a club! Getting involved on campus is a great way to meet people, as well as boost your resume! Joining clubs and organizations is a good way to avoid sitting in your room for hours on end and it keeps you active and you’ll meet people with similar interests and/or majors!

Melissa is currently a Junior at the University of Oklahoma where she is pursuing her degree in criminology. Aside from writing for HerCampus, Melissa is involved in greek-life as a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, the honor society of Alpha Lambda Delta, and her university's criminology club. A Jersey native, she enjoys spending her weekends in the city or at the beach with friends, as well as shopping and listening to music.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!