This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Kat Yukawa on Unsplash

As the holidays roll around this time of year, there is no better time than the present to give back to the community. Whether you are thinking about doing something individually, with family or with friends, the opportunities are robust and brimming.

5. Use Smile.Amazon.

When ordering off Amazon for presents, or anything really, use Smile.Amazon instead. It’s the same as normal Amazon, but a portion of your purchase goes to a charity of your choice.

4. Visit your local home for the elderly.

These folks don’t usually receive many visitors, so an hour or two of your time to listen and talk with them would really help make their holidays nicer. Plus you might hear some really cool stories!

3. Help out those you know.

Usually when we think about giving back, we like to think big! Though, it’s good to start small. I offer to babysit my family member’s small children, and I know the few hours where they get a night to themselves or even just a trip to grocery store alone may not seem like much, but I know they appreciate it anyways. Think about the things you can do to help out your family and friends.

2. Ask for donations to your favorite charity in lieu of traditional gifts.

Instead of the money going toward a gift you don’t really want (Sorry Aunt Brenda!), encourage family members to give to your favorite worthy cause instead.

1. Volunteer!

There are so many great organizations around that could use a helping hand. In Norman, the Second Chance Animal Sanctuary is open for those who love pets. On OU’s campus, the OU Food Pantry is always happy for more help from those who love to help out local families. A quick google search of your area’s volunteer opportunities is great at finding things near you. In addition to this, getting your friends and family to volunteer with you is great way to have fun and give back together.

Elosia Pewitt

Oklahoma '22

Freshman at OU, AGD member, tea lover, 19 years old. Instagram: @the_elosia
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!