photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Sasha Freemind on Unsplash

Ever since high school I’ve had this crazy idea to pack up my life and move to one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world: New York City. Once I made that decision and told everyone in my life that was my plan post-graduation, I’ve been met with stares that only say “you’re crazy.” If they don’t look at me weird, I get the “are you sure?” or “you should stay here for a while and then move out there.” But what I’ve learned over the last few years of dealing with everyone’s doubts is: we live for too short of a time to not take risks.

I get it. There’s a lot of worry of packing up your life and moving somewhere, but maybe your dreams aren’t that dramatic. Maybe you want to travel or go after that job or open your own store. I’m here to tell you to do it. Chase that dream.

I read a quote the other day that has stuck with me ever since. “Get into the habit of asking yourself: ‘Does this support the life I’m trying to create?’”

Image via Pinterest

Jumping headfirst into something without thinking about it isn’t what I’m here to tell you to do. That isn’t the smartest advice. I’m here to tell you start making those decisions that get you there. Big changes don’t happen all at once. It’s usually a bunch of smaller decisions that build up to a larger change.

If you want to see a new country or make that trip then research and create a budgeting plan to buy the ticket. If you want to apply for a job that feels out of reach right now then work on getting your skills to where they need to be.

Nothing is too far out of reach unless you don’t try. So, follow your dreams because no one is going to do it for you.

Hi, my name is Bayley Dempewolf. I am a junior marketing major here at OU. Netflix is my middle name and I love reading anything I can get my hands on. Vine was gone too soon. Traveling and trying new things are my newfound passions.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!