This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Danielle MacInnes on Unsplash

Finding inspiration is hard at times, especially right now during midterms and chaotic times. I tend to go weeks full of inspiration coming at me in every direction, and then I have dry spells where I can not even find inspiration to do my homework and writing assignments each week. This year, I’ve been focusing on what inspires me the most and how to focus on the little things.

The Little Things Count

When I was in high school and on the yearbook staff, my advisor had us pick out our theme at the beginning of the year. She told us to think about it all the time and focus on our surroundings to find a theme. This included commercials, things we read, catch phrases, and conversations we had. I use that now for my inspiration in my writing. When I talk to my friends about something and think it might be relatable, I make a mental note of it. Pay attention to the small details in things. They’re the most important.

Find a song, movie, book, or TV show

I have at least one of each of these for when I am lacking inspiration or just feel like I am stuck in my emotions but having just one overall for yourself works, too. When I’m feeling down, I will turn on Friends in the background to help me get through it. When I’m completely lacking inspiration, I tend to read The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Claire because I love her writing style and she is one of my main inspirations for writing. Other times I turn on a Disney movie that I love or watch The Bold Type. I find inspiration in all of these and turn to them when I need to.

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Talk it out

When I feel stuck –in my writing or in life in general– I talk it out either with my parents or my friends. Sometimes it helps to just get it out. While they might not have solutions for you, it is a relatable topic and it could feel better to get it off your chest.

Look at the bigger picture

Last year, I felt stuck around midterms and it lasted a few months. I felt like nothing was changing. I wasn’t growing, and I just felt like I had zero inspiration to do anything. I kept to myself and locked myself in my room most of the time. This was a stark contrast from my first semester at OU, where every day was inspiring. I saw and experienced something new almost every day and had found my happy place. Now, when I feel stuck again like I did then, I read articles about women working in the places I want to work at after I graduate. I research these things and get excited again. That little spark that keeps me going gets reignited once again. Sometimes I have to do this a few times a week or as little as once a month to remind myself what I’m doing this all for. Remember to look at the bigger picture and remind yourself of the outcome but also remember to enjoy where you are now. 

Finding inspiration can be the key to staying upbeat about where you are in life. Finding it has become my essential need for self-care. I find it almost everywhere in my daily surroundings. I take a few minutes out of my day while walking through OU’s gorgeous campus and just take in my surroundings, thinking about how I made it here when just two years ago, I barely even thought of coming here before it became my dream. I remind myself of why I chose the path I did and how incredible it is going to be, and of how incredible it is right now. Inspiration will find its way to you no matter what, you just have to keep an eye out for it. Overall, the world is inspiring-you just have to see it that way.

Hi, my name is Halea and I am a junior studying Professional Writing with a minor in Editing and Publishing at the University of Oklahoma. I quote Friends a tad too often, love spending time with my friends and family, and writing (naturally).
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!