christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Dark Side of Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

As a so-called “Gen Z” person, I’ve been an internet user since I was probably way too young. I would say the internet and I are in a pretty committed, long-term relationship. We go way back, we’ve been through good times and bad times and we really can’t imagine a life without each other. Ok, I know it’s strange to personify the internet, but think about it: we spend so much time with the internet, it might as well be a person.

Obviously, there’s a lot more to the internet than social media, but for right now, that’s mostly what I’m talking about. I’ve recently had to step back and reevaluate this social media-saturated world I live in, and it’s led me to do a little bit of research and reflection on the topic. Here are a few of the negative effects of social media.

It encourages comparison with others

There’s hardly anything that emphasizes our tendency to compare ourselves to one another more than social media. It’s hard to scroll through pages of other peoples’ highlight reels and not compare it to our low points, but so often, that’s what we do. There is always someone just around the corner who can, in your mind, “one-up” you.

It can give us anxiety

Along those same lines, social media can increase our levels of anxiety. Most of us are probably guilty of checking our phones while having a conversation with someone, and most of us have been on the receiving end of that as well. Wondering what other people are up to—and if you’re missing out—can be anxiety-inducing. For some, this obsession is severe and can be diagnosed as “Social Media Anxiety Disorder.”

It can change our brains

While we scroll through countless curated pages, our brains might be suffering the consequences. Studies have shown that excessive social media use can change the way our brains work. In one study, it was shown that people are learning to rely less on facial expressions or body language for affirmation and more on the number of likes or shares we get.

It wouldn’t be difficult to go on about the negative effects of social media—after all, there are quite a few. On the other side, however, there are a lot of benefits to social media, and that is why I don’t think it’s necessary to quit using it. Every generation has to adapt to new technology, and I’m not especially concerned that social media is a harbinger for the end of civilization.

I just think if something is literally changing the structure of our brains, it deserves a second look, and maybe a much-needed break.

Hi, my name is Carrie and I am a Professional Writing junior minoring in sociology at the University of Oklahoma. I enjoy tutoring writing, playing my guitar, creating Spotify playlists, or reading random stories on Quora.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!