This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Amy Shamblen on Unsplash

I have a confession: it’s February, and I have not kept up with a single one of my New Year’s resolutions.  

I love starting the new year off fresh, I love having high expectations for the future and I love any excuse to really feel like I have my life together. I am definitely not one of those cynics who denounces the new year, saying that it’s wrong to have resolutions that will put a lot of pressure on us, but at this point I am willing to admit that they have a point.

Like I said, I have not kept up with any of my resolutions – but I have yet to mention that I am not at all surprised by this. Every year, I begin to lose my New Year-induced steam about two weeks into January, so this year I’ve officially decided to treat every day as a new year.

Technically, every single day is a new year in the sense that it is the first of a brand new 365 days. Every day, every week, every month and even every second is a chance to completely begin again if you choose to do so.  

It’s time to take away the pressure to dramatically change our lives between the traditional window of January 1st to December 31st.  

Instead of feeling like a complete failure min-January like clockwork, I am simply going to show up in my fullness and be the best I can be every day of the year, and I encourage you to do the same.

Your calendar might not indicate that it’s a new year, but you’ll know – and that’s all that matters.

Amanda Wilkins

Oklahoma '22

Amanda Wilkins is a Freshman Journalism major at the University of Oklahoma.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!