etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Animal Lover’s College Dream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by olivia hutcherson on Unsplash

Three months ago I turned 21. Most people want to go out and go crazy on this birthday. I, however, had something else in mind.

I have always been an animal lover and have missed my dogs ever since I moved to Norman. Because I was about to start my junior year, I felt pretty organized. I knew my schedule and how much free time I would have. It seemed like the perfect time for me to get a pet!

Two days before my birthday I went to a few animal shelters to look for the perfect pup. I was planning on just looking and coming back on my actual birthday, but it didn’t quite work out like that. 

As I walked into the dog room at my favorite shelter, Operation Kindness, I saw a sweet little puppy that looked terrified. Before I knew it, she was in my lap trying to lick my face. 

We were there for about 5 minutes before I decided I should take her home. Best decision I have ever made!

Now we are five weeks into the school year and it could not be more fun having a dog to come home to. They truly make everything better. Waking up early to let her out has also made me much more productive! It is a lot of work to take care of a dog, but if you have the time and are a true dog person like I am, it is well worth it. Especially if you are giving a deserving dog a loving home!

Erin Feherty

Oklahoma '21

I am a junior at the University of Oklahoma and I’m majoring in Public Relations!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!