This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

While people across the globe rang in the new year less than one month ago, many made their New Year’s resolutions, swearing they would stick to them. However, if you are like me, those resolutions may not last long.

As much as I try to make myself go to the gym everyday or get a little more organized, those routines never seem to last long. That’s because my New Year’s resolutions are always things that are just a little too hard for me, or just not at all possible with my schedule.

This year, I have decided to do away with the resolutions that are just a little too unrealistic for me. This year, I am going to focus on forming habits that create more peace in my life. This year, I am going to focus, not on the big changes, but on the small ones that can bring a little more happiness to my 2019.

1. Take an hour out of  your day to sit down and get your sh*t done.

But, how can I do this when I am so busy binge watching Stranger Things for the fourth time?! Trust me, honey. You can do this.

Even if it means sitting down to answer some emails you put off or filling out that internship application that you have been procrastinating, spending just one hour a day doing the crap you don’t really want to do will relieve a lot of anxiety that you have bottled up.

Photo by Mikayla Mallek on Unsplash

2. Learn to say “No.”

Unlike most normal people, I have a hard time turning others down when they ask me to do something. Not because I am eager to try new things or go out 24/7, but because I am such a people pleaser that I often find myself doing crap that I don’t even want to be doing. Whether this is another university club you are asked to join, a night out with friends or even a movie night with your girls, it is OKAY to say no. Don’t feel bad for doing what you want to do (or don’t want to do!) because it’s your life, and you have a right to do as you please.

3. Do things that are good for your soul.

Hell, if that means binge watching Stranger Things, then go for it! No amount of work, classes or family drama should determine how at peace you are on the inside. The mistakes you made today will not drastically alter the way your life will play out. Stop stressing about the things that may seem important in the moment and focus on taking care of your soul—that’s the thing that sticks with you forever. If you want to take a nap, take a nap. If you need a break from life, it is okay to tune out. Your everyday routine shouldn’t cause your mental health to deteriorate. And if it does, you need to reevaluate why you are doing the things that you are, and you need to take time to do something that makes your soul sing.

4. Focus on taking care of your body.

Really? Didn’t I specifically say I always fail if my resolution involves the gym? I’m not saying become a fitness guru, and I’m not even telling you to go to the gym at all if you don’t want to. I am just reminding you that a happy body helps create a path for a healthy mind. So drink a little more water. Wash your face every day. Go on a walk with your dog every now and then. Just take care of yourself. Don’t ever let your physical health become a low priority. Make 2019 the year of you!

Image via Pinterest

5. Remind yourself that you are worthy of good things.

My biggest focus of 2019 is letting go of my fear.

What if I apply for a job, but I’m not experienced enough to get it? Or worse. What if I get the job, but I’m not smart enough to succeed at it?

These thoughts, and hundreds more like it, run through my head daily. I am often stuck feeling inferior because my mind tells me that I am not worthy or talented enough to achieve great things. Well, I’m calling bullshit.

Girl, you are amazing. You are worthy. You are capable. Above all, you are strong. Showing the world how strong you are starts with you reminding yourself of that. This year, make it a habit to lift yourself up instead of weighing yourself down.

Addison Kliewer

Oklahoma '20

Journalism senior at the University of Oklahoma. Lover of all things pumpkin, coffee, books, new friends and expressing opinions through subpar writing.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!