This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Joanna Kosinska on Unsplash

Everyone has heard of the “freshman 15.” One reason I think this happens is while you’re in college, it becomes a lot harder to eat healthy. You probably don’t have the budget to get groceries from Whole Foods and you probably don’t have to time to make every meal. On top of that, most freshmen at OU are required to have a meal plan if they live on campus. Here are three tips for eating healthy At OU:

Make your breakfast

I find that breakfast is one of the harder meals for me to eat out and find something healthy. It is tempting to order a pastry from Starbucks. It’s so good and so quick when you’re on your way to class, but a few hours later you’ll be hungry again and the sugar crash will begin. I like to buy a few things from the grocery store to keep in my room for breakfast like yogurt, granola, fruit or even healthy breakfast bars (my fav are Lara Bars!)

Image via Pinterest

Eat at Dunham Dining hall

When I first got to OU, I didn’t even realize that I could eat at Dunham with my meal plan, but you can! They have a great selection of healthy food! There is always a salad bar full of fresh ingredients, and the hot food changes, but there are always healthy choices. They even have vegan options!

Plan ahead

If you wait until it’s time to eat to give any thought to where you want to eat, you’re more likely to grab something quick in between classes. Even just planning ahead and saying I’m going to go get this or something else from the union market helps me to avoid grabbing Chick-fil-A nuggets. If you know that you don’t have much time one day for lunch, it may be best to get something beforehand or even pack something from your dorm.

Image via Pinterest

Journalism student at the University of Oklahoma!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!