10 Study Tips for Final Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Last week, the Huffington Post released a list of 12 tips to help students study for final exams. Here, we have combined some of their items with some of our favorites!

1) Take study breaks: According to research, the best way to study is in 20-50 minute sections, then take mini breaks of 5-10 minutes.

2) Listen to classical music: According to the Huff Post, certain types of music, like Mozart’s compositions, have been shown to activate both sides of the brains in listeners.

3) Form study groups: Working in groups can be productive, but make sure to focus on the task at hand. It is easy to get sidetracked, but if one person is focused, the group is likely to focus too.

4) Sleep: It sounds simple, but I know countless collegiettes who have stayed up night after night cramming for finals. After a certain point, you stop retaining information, so getting sleep will give you a chance to wake up with a fresh perspective.

5) Go to office hours: Professors have office hours for a reason; take advantage of them. If you are stuck on something or want to review your old tests, go to office hours. Plus, if your grade is on the line, a lot of professors have been known to bump up students who they know are making an effort.

6) Move around: Going for a short walk or jog is a positive alternative to drinking caffeine. By moving around, you’ll get an energy boost. Some experts even say 20 minutes of cardio a day can improve your memory.

7) Get creative with your notes: Instead of trying to read the same piece of paper over and over again, do something creative. Draw images of what you’re learning or make charts, diagrams, lists, graphs or notecards. By writing the information out in a different way, you’ll be more likely to retain it.

8) Review sessions: If your professor or course offers it, ALWAYS go to the review session. Even if the professor reviews in class, he or she usually gives much more information in review sessions. That information is a privilege for the students who actually attend and is always worth it.

9) Create a study environment: This may be a good time to change up your study locations. You may be tempted to study at places like Starbucks or Barnes & Noble, but they offer many distractions. You need a quiet, well-lit place where you can spread your books out. The library is your best bet, since most floors are designated quiet study floors.

10) Eat smart: When you go to study, take snacks with you. Pack nutri-grain or power bars, nuts or fruit. If you’re already on caffeine overload, but still need to stay alert, drink green tea. It still has caffeine, but much less than coffee or energy drinks.

Lastly, the most important piece of advice I can give you is not to panic. When you feel overwhelmed, just take a deep breath and visualize yourself doing well. As long as you breathe, you’ll be ok.

Kali Carter is a senior at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Public Relations. Kali is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, where she has held a number of officer positions, including an executive position as the Vice President of Membership Development. She has worked as a news desk reporter for the Oklahoma Daily newspaper, served as the Treasurer of the Student Society of Professional Journalists and is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. Kali currently balances her time working as the Marketing Assistant for an independent insurance agency and an Account Lead at the Lindsey + Asp Advertising and Public Relations Agency in the journalism college. Aside from working and spending time with friends and family, her greatest passions in life are writing and traveling. Kali has studied abroad in Peru, Chile, and Puerto Rico, and spent a summer blogging and living in San Francisco. Upon her graduation in December 2011, Kali does not intend to return to her hometown of Tulsa, Okla. Instead, she hopes to spend the next year or two traveling the world, writing, and volunteering, before eventually settling down in New York City.