Style

10 Items Every College Girl Needs In Her Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Going off to college is one of the most exciting events in a young woman’s life. She will pursue her dreams, make new friends, and make a bright future for herself. However, most dorms have limited closet space, so it’s impractical to bring an entire wardrobe. A few basic items is enough for a college woman to be able to have an outfit for any occasion from class to girls’ night out.

Denim Jacket

A denim jacket is one of the most versatile pieces anyone can own. It can make even the blandest outfit cute, and most can be found at Forever 21 and other stores for less than $50.

Activewear

Staying active is important for a healthy lifestyle and having the right clothes for the gym is just as important. A good pair or two of workout shoes helps prevent injuries, so this is a worthwhile investment. Packing a few workout tops and some shorts or leggings will ensure that you can look cute and badass at the same time.

Denim Shorts

Denim shorts are a summer essential and go with almost any top. Having a pair or two in light and dark washes is enough to bring style and charm to any summer outfit. Denim shorts are just as appropriate for study trips in the library as they are for relaxing in the dorm.

T-Shirts

T-shirts are arguably the most important part of a college girl’s wardrobe. They’re extremely versatile, and they come in a wide variety of colors and patterns. With jeans, they make a cute outfit for class. Paired with a blazer and a pencil skirt or slacks, they can be appropriate for professional settings.

Jeans

Jeans are the most versatile pants a girl can own. They’re appropriate for a wide variety of settings, and they can be found almost anywhere clothes are sold. It’s good to have at least two pairs of blue jeans, but it’s fun to have jeans in other colors, such as pink or green.

Formalwear

Sometimes, being in college means attending formal events, such as banquets. Even if you won’t wear it often, it’s still important to have at least one formal dress or another outfit. A little black dress is perfect for school-related functions, but a different pattern or color would be more appropriate if the event in question is a friend’s wedding.

Sweaters

Sweaters are the ultimate cold-weather piece. They’re cute and cozy, and they’re perfect for almost any occasion. If the weather is especially cold, layering a vest on top of a sweater is a fashionable and practical choice.

Loungewear

When the day is done and you’re relaxing in your dorm, loungewear is your best friend. It keeps you comfortable during long study sessions, and it can serve as a cute outfit for class if you don’t feel like getting out of your pajamas. Nobody will judge you, I promise.

Boots

I don’t know a single girl that doesn’t own at least one pair of boots. Whether it’s riding boots, combat boots, or Uggs, almost every girl I know owns at least one pair. Invest in a good pair from a shoe store, such as DSW, and get a cheaper pair at Target or another store to protect your feet on a rainy day.

Cross-Body Bag

A purse is the most important item a college girl can own. It holds everything you need without the need to fumble and drop things. I prefer cross-body bags because it’s harder to steal and access to my things is easy. Vera Bradley bags are popular among college-aged women, but a bag from Target does the job just as well.

Kellie Dick

Oklahoma '22

Kellie Dick is a professional writing major and English minor at the University of Oklahoma. When she isn't writing, she enjoys reading and spending time with friends and family.
Hailey Welch

Oklahoma '21

Hailey Welch is majoring in Chemical Biosciences with a final goal of studying the brain. While loving science, she also appreciates the need for creative development and self expression. Her hobbies include trying new foods, talking to her mom on the phone, looking at squirrel videos on Instagram, and getting distracted by HerCampus articles.