This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Today we’re talking about TikTok, and I don’t mean the smash hit by Kesha. By now, I’m sure you’ve heard of this app or maybe even decided to check it out to see what the hype is all about. But just on the off chance you haven’t, TikTok is a social media app specifically made up of short videos. It is just about limitless on what the videos you run across will entail.  

TikTok is an app full of variety. You go on instagram to check up on people’s lives. You go on Facebook to see what the adults are up to. (Do any young adults actually still use Facebook?) Twitter is for watching the 45th President of the United States have a melt down. But TikTok? There is absolutely no telling what you’ll find on there. 

Dancing trends? Heck yeah. Harry Potter lovers? You better believe it, these guys are everywhere. The things your teachers didn’t dare speak of in your high school health class? TikTok’s got you. People just recording themselves speaking their minds with (usually) minimal backlash?  It’s what makes TikTok so unique. You might even run across Hank Green. (Come on, you guys know Hank, he’s that guy who taught all of us biology on YouTube when our teachers didn’t want to.)

You might log on one day to someone talking about something you relate to full hardely- and something that you’ve always been too afraid to talk to anyone else about. The creators of TikTok have this weird ability to see into your psyche and relate to you. No one is afraid to get too personal on this app. I myself have learned many things about the female body among many other fun things. (Did you know there is an actual thing called a Hot Tub Boat? Thanks TikTok)

When I say TikTok is versatile, I really mean it. TikTok is known for having different sides to it that you can stumble across. With things like AltTok, BookTok, FrogTok, and you can’t forget about the ever famous DracoTok, there is a special place for everyone that your For You Page algorithm will kindly guide you to. 

And the people most on TikTok is generation Z, who seem to be unafraid to speak their minds, even when they know they might get some backlash and are critical of just about everything. I mean, this is the generation that made a plan through TikTok to reserve tickets to a Trump rally with no intention of actually going in order to embarrass the current President of the United States. (And if I myself reserved a ticket or two along with my fellow generation, who’s to say?) TikTok is overrun by gen Z and it shows in the overall vibe of this app.

From politics to punch lines TikTok has something for everyone. If you’re not on this app, you are truly missing out.

I'm at Freshman at Oklahoma State University currently majoring in zoology but we'll see ;).