Why I Love Discovering New Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

“Ty I need new music, I know you have some new music.” I hear this all the time from my friends.

I would like to think of myself as a music connoisseur; I look for new music every day. And I’m really adventurous with my tastes. I have listened to everything from Russian rap to reggae-ton. I love all music! I have to do everything with music playing in the background. I even sleep better with music playing!

Music plays such an important role in my life in other ways, too. It can change my mood and inspire me to work on my art. Music can take you to different places, pull you out of the darkness, bring happiness, sadness or understanding to your life.

Finding new artists gives me a rush. Some of my favorite artists have come out of some small towns but they’re making huge strides with their music. Finding artists on this level can create connections that never would have existed before. I commend anyone trying to make a career out of music, because the music industry is ruthless. Sometimes I wish the small artists would stay small so they can continue to make music the way they want to, but I love to see my favorite unknown artists gain popularity.

If you need some new music check out some different genres and step outside of what you know. Click “Explore” and just let the music play! Don’t skip a song just give it all a chance, then try to create your own from there. While you’re at it, check out my favorite tracks here. If you want any music suggestions you can tweet me at @dopeavana

Hannah Littlefield was Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Oklahoma State University for 2 semesters, and she had an amazing team backing her up. During her time as CC, she also wrote for CollegeFashionista and her personal style blog, fefifofhannah.com. She will always remember the wonderful and unique team members she had at HCOS, and will cherish every memory.