sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Where Is My Money Going? Things You Should Cut Down on in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Broke College Kid has become a label us students have all sadly accepted. College students are paying loads of money to get an education which then takes up all their time and limits the amount of money they can earn. Along with that, the school system does a poor job of teaching us how finances work and how to budget properly. While this isn’t a guide to budgeting, because honestly, I’m still figuring that out, these are a couple of things I’ve noticed that are sucking up all my money.  Here are 4 things you can cut down on to earn a little extra savings this year.

Groceries

I always feel like my entire paycheck ends up getting spent on groceries.  While this may seem like a fixed cost there are actually a lot of ways you can reduce it.  Are you buying name brand? I almost never buy name brand products because dealing with a slightly worse tasting product is something I can manage.  While we need food to survive consider what kinds of food you are buying. Do you really need that pack of gummies to make it through the week? Sometimes the answer to that is yes.  But other times, we can make ourselves put it back on the shelf. Another point on snacks is that they usually are foods that don’t keep you full as long. Invest in foods that keep you fuller longer like chicken, peanut butter, and veggies.  These foods are usually much cheaper too.

Coffee

When I roll out of bed in the morning feeling like a zombie the only thing that gets me moving is knowing that I am going to get a pick me up from the Starbucks on my way to class.  However, everytime I do this instead of making coffee at home, I spend at least $5. This isn’t even including the tip I leave which adds up to around $7 every morning! While I can agree that the coffee at home doesn’t taste as good as the sweet caramel drizzle and whip (but hella calories) I get in my cup at the coffee shop, brewing your own can be as cheap as cents per cup.  If you’re making a daily trip to the coffee shop, try cutting it down to once per week. Bonus: put the money you would have spent in your savings account!

Online Shopping

While Amazon isn’t an expense, it’s a dangerous trap for impulse buys.  The convenience of tapping a couple of buttons while I’m not in the right mind to consider my budget for the month is a huge problem for me.  Most products I buy are from Amazon so I really am a big fan of the company. If you are trying to save money, though, consider uninstalling the app and avoid scrolling through this site or any other online retail site. 

Makeup

Makeup hoarding is real. It is an addiction. While you may not have that exact shade of lipstick and the formula is sooo nice, you have plenty of options at home that you honestly will never use up.  I don’t think I have ever used up a lipstick completely. Like the last point, the best way to stop yourself is to not let yourself look in the first place.

Try making a set budget for the amount you will spend this year and stick to it.  Budgeting is hard, but there are plenty of apps and online sources that can help you manage your money better.  Let’s spend wisely and save this 2020 together!

Former President of Her Campus at Oklahoma State University.  Laney is a senior Graphic Design major.  Laney is passionate about philanthropy, activism, education, and art.  When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus she is painting, playing video games, or volunteering.