Vagina Monologues to Premiere Tonight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Oklahoma State University will host its annual event The Vagina Monologues this weekend. Yes, I said vagina.

The first Vagina Monologues performance was performed on Broadway in 1994 by Eve Ensler.  The show is about women and their experiences of being a woman.

The Vagina Monologues is sponsored by V-Day, a global activist movement to end violence against women and girls. V-Day promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money, and revitalize the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations, according to vday.org.

Each monologue will have its own story of what each woman has been through. Coordinator Megan Rappenecker said the purpose of the event is to spread the message to stop violence against women around the world.

All proceeds will benefit Stillwater’s Wings of Hope Domestic Violence services, according to the OSU Web site. Tickets are $3 to $5 with the donation of a full-sized toiletry and can be purchased in room 013 of the student union.

Don’t judge a book by its cover, but experience a walk on the wild side for yourself.
The Vagina Monologues premieres today at 7 p.m. at the Sheerar Museum at 702 S. Duncan St. Additional shows are on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.