This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Hazing Prevention week is something most of the Okstate campus isn’t even aware happens. However, it’s something that affects many students, including those with no Greek affiliation. OSU has one of the best PanHellenic systems in the country. PanHellenic is the name for the 26 sororities that form the National PanHellenic Council.

Oklahoma State currently has 13 PanHellenic sororities that each exist as separate entities here at OSU. However, the PanHellenic Council made up of representatives from each sorority as well as an executive team make decisions and enforce policies that affect Greek life as a whole.

Hazing Prevention week is one of the activities that the PanHellenic Council puts on to educate both the Green and non-Greek communities on safety and protecting members. Hazing Prevention week will be Sept. 22-26.

Sammi Hise, PanHellenic Vice President of Judicial Affairs, announced the events at the PanHellenic Risk Management Committee meeting this past week. Events will include passing out candy and encouraging notes at Chi-O clock from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m Monday and a “These hand don’t haze” banner also at Chi-O clock from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday. There will also be a Greek walk from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday.

National Hazing Prevention week is organized by HazingPrevention.Org every year. HazingPrevention.Org describes Hazing Prevention Week as “an opportunity for campuses, schools, communities, organizations and individuals to raise awareness about the problem of hazing, educate others about hazing, and promote the prevention of hazing.”

Even non-Greek affiliated students should take the time to learn about hazing prevention. Part of what Hazing Prevention week promotes is for individuals to be able to recognize hazing and report it if necessary. The number to report hazing is 1-888-NOT-HAZE (668-4293). 

Strategic Communications major and English minor at Oklahoma State University. Campus Correspondent for the Oklahoma State chapter.