Superman Makes a Visit to Oklahoma State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Shaquille O’Neal was asked to speak at OSU for the speakers series on April 3, 2012. He not only accepted the request, he had everyone in attendance dancing, laughing, and having a great time. Her Campus caught up with Kyndall Lewis, a business freshman, to ask her about the event.

Danielle King:Why were interested in hearing what Shaq had to say.
Kyndall Lewis: I wanted to hear him speak because he was a famous athlete. I am a big basketball fan, and as soon as I heard that he’d be visiting campus I made sure I would be able to attend.

Kyndall and Shaquille O’Neal

DK:What did Shaq talk about?
KL: He told the audience to basically stay humble, and stay motivated throughout. He also discussed his career before and after the NBA.

DK: How was the speech?
KL: It was great. It was a question and answer type style. Some students had the opportunity to go on stage with Shaq to ask their question. The only way that the students were able to ask Shaq a question was if they danced first. Shaq’s orders.

DK: How was it to meet Shaq?
KL: It was awesome, he is a really really big guy and really nice! I was able to take a picture with him and get his autograph.

DK: What was your favorite part of the speech?                                         
KL: When Shaq talked about his mom and college. He stressed to the audience how important education is. He also shared how important his family was to him. It was refreshing to hear a celebrity talk about normal values. It showed how down to earth he really was.

Stephanie Taylor is originally from Detroit, Michigan and moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma with her parents when she was sixteen. Five years later, she is now a senior at Oklahoma State University majoring in news-editorial with a minor in English. Her three passions are writing, fashion and music. Stephanie loves telling other peoples' stories and seeing her words come to life. In the future, she will be an editor in chief of a young women's magazine and a screenwriter. She currently holds the title of Miss Black OSU and volunteers with different organizations for young women and for mentally and physically disabled young adults. Stephanie has been accused of trying to save the world, which always makes her smile. In response to that, she says she just wants to do all she can with all she has in the time she has on the earth.