This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Summer is almost here, which means we can finally binge all our shows and read our new books without the guilt and looming homework due dates. So here are my suggestions of what you should be reading and watching in the coming months!

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Meet your new favorite queer rom com! In this book, the U.S. has their first woman president, and her college aged son has just made a colossal incident with the Prince of Wales, now they have to be fake friends for the press, but what happens when that becomes more?

If I’m Being Honest by Emily Wibberley and Austin Siegemund-Broka

A modern retelling of The Taming of the Shrew (think 10 Things I Hate About You), where a young woman attempts to change who she is for a boy and learns she doesn’t have to change for anyone? We stan a queen.

Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren

Imagine Jess Day from New Girl in her very own rom com! Josh and Hazel are college friends but could never see themselves dating. Now they set each other up on double dates and end the night knowing their date isn’t the one. As time progresses are these dates to find love or have they already found it?

American Panda by Gloria Chao

Remember freshman year and the horrors of biology? Meet Mei a college freshman whose parents expect her to be a doctor, yet she hates germs and falls asleep in lecture. Sound familiar to anyone?

The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai

A feminist dating app creator is trying to not fall for the guy who ghosted her. Listen up, we’ve all been there and thought he/she/they could be the one, but we were wrong. So, let’s read about the girl who swipes right and gets the boy (who has the appropriate redemption arc, otherwise sis you deserve better).

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

Star crossed lovers, falling in love across NYC, serious family situations and truths with immigration, and Charles Melton? Yes please! After you’ve finished, plan a movie night with the girl gang to watch the adaption!

The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura Steven

C’mon folks, don’t we all love to laugh at Harry Potter jokes while discussing The Friend Zone and guys using slut shaming against us? Get ready to meet future comedian, Izzy O’Neill.

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

Alright so I am a sucker for gender swapped books and films, enters Stella and Michael. They are a reverse Pretty Woman with Stella wanting to learn about love and the author is writing own voices Autism for Stella’s character!

The Bold Type

Messy, funny, and so empowering. The Bold Type covers so many topics ranging from friendships to dating to what it’s like to be out of college and in a career. Did you make the best choice? Probably not. This is the perfect show to make you not feel alone in your own drama and have a good laugh over break.

Jane the Virgin

If you haven’t watched this yet, what are you doing??? This show has AN INTENSE LOVE BATTLE, all the drama and antics that keep you guessing, and a heart set in family. The seasons will make you laugh, make you cry, and make you believe in love. This is the perfect summer show and the Latin Lover who narrates the show is such a mood. (Forever Team Rafael.)

The Good Place

Honestly the fact that this show has Jameela Jamil and Kristen Bell in it should be reason enough. This show is truly hilarious, crazy relatable as we struggle with life, and reinvents itself every season. Also, I would gladly lay down my life for Chidi. 

One Day at a Time

Alright so where are my people who love a good cry? The first few episodes take you a minute to get invested, but then it gets you. This show talks about anxiety, depression, PTSD, coming out, addiction, and family dynamics in such a real way while balancing it out with laughter. I will admit I cry almost every episode in the third season, but these topics played out was so beautiful. This will be one of the best additions to your summer binge list.

If you ever want to scream about any of these characters, know that I am here.

Savanna Waddle

OK State '20

Savanna is a senior at Oklahoma State University majoring in psychology with plans to pursue a Master's degree in social work. Savanna is passionate about activism, friendship, books, and art in all forms. When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus she is reading, making traveling plans, or studying way too much of Freud's theories.