jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Over the past decade, everything has changed. I made it through middle school and high school. I started college. And throughout this next decade, everything will change again – I’ll finish school and get my first real job. 

I spent all of middle school and high school wishing I was already in college and living on my own as far away from Michigan as possible. I imagined my life would be so much cooler and more exciting than it actually is now, but I was so focused on what I thought my life could be that I didn’t get to fully enjoy everything I was doing. Now, I miss track meets and cheer competitions and dance classes. Then, my freshman year of college, I went to Davis and Elkins College to be on their acrobatics and tumbling team. It’s a small college out in West Virginia and my teammates and I loved to make fun of it and joke about how boring it always was. Partly because of the small school and partly because I tore the labrum in my shoulder, I ended up transferring away which is how I ended up at Oklahoma State. And now I miss acro practices and competitions and all of the people I met there so much every single day. 

But now, I have finally recognized my pattern: I always want what I can’t have and I always end up missing what I don’t have anymore. So I’m going into 2020 embracing what I’m doing now and living in the moment instead of in my memories.

Ann is a senior at Oklahoma State University majoring in nutritional sciences. She is also a personal trainer and in her free time likes to relax and watch movies.