This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Forty-four students were named Seniors of Significance for the 2014-2015 school year. Cynthia Bejar is one of the students honored with the award. She is originally from Mustang, Okla., is an Applied Sociology major with a Microbiology minor and Pre-Medicine option, and is an Honor’s College Degree candidate.

Bejar decided to apply for the award after talking with some faculty members about the application. “They all really pushed me over the edge, encouraging me to apply”, said Bejar. “They had so much faith in me and that truly motivated me to try”.

The selection process consists of filling out the Seniors of Significance application, submitting transcripts, and having two letters of recommendation. The different components that the application looks at include leadership, service, honors and awards, scholarly activities and scholarships, and an essay. “I think that being as well rounded as possible is really important,” said Bejar. “Having experience in these areas is essential”.

Bejar hopes receiving this award will allow her to be a good role model to others. “I have already had people come to me and ask me for advice because they’re thinking of applying to be a Senior of Significance next year,” said Bejar. “Being a resource to them and encouraging them is truly fulfilling”.

Bejar’s advice to freshmen is to start visualizing what they want to get out of college early. “Students have so much potential to grow and learn,” said Bejar. “I think starting that momentum early on is beneficial”.

The key to success is being able to prioritize. “I have a million and one things on my mind every day,” said Bejar. “I wouldn’t be able to get through the day if I didn’t take the time to write them down and prioritize the order in which I need to get them done”.

Bejar and the other 43 Seniors of Significance will all have the chance to interview for the Outstanding Senior award in the spring semester. Ten of the Seniors of Significance will be chosen, after resubmitting updated credentials, by the OSU Alumni Association to be OSU Outstanding Seniors.

These two awards represent only a couple of the opportunities OSU has to offer its students. “My favorite part of being at OSU is having the opportunity to meet and work with people that continue to make me a better person every day,” said Bejar. “Professors, staff, peers, mentees, friends… they’ve all shaped me somehow and I am so grateful for that”.

For a full list of the students recognized as Seniors of Significance, visit Orange Connection

photo via orangeconnection.org

Strategic Communications major and English minor at Oklahoma State University. Campus Correspondent for the Oklahoma State chapter.