This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have felt different from all the other girls my age. Not only physically, but also emotionally. Physically, I am different because I am a Type One diabetic. Diabetes comes in two forms; Type One is the disease that spreads throughout the body, having no absolute cure. I was diagnosed when I was six years old, being placed in a dark hospital where I was hooked up to wires and had IVs in my veins. This makes me special because I have learned to take care of myself from a very young age. Over the years, I have grown more independent and mature.

To me, the little things are just as important as the big events in my life. I try to focus on going through life day by day. Emotionally, I do care about what others think, I am sensitive in that sense. I have trained myself to let myself be free from the hate and the negativity. With having a life-threatening disease, I have to enjoy every moment like it is my last.

Think of things that make you different and special from others.

Abby Zaboronek

OK State '25

Hello! My name is Abby Zaboronek and I am a freshman here at Oklahoma State University. I am apart of HER CAMPUS because I want to make a difference on campus and in the Stillwater community. As a Type One Diabetic, I was always taught to speak up about what I'm thinking and share my ideas. I am so excited to write (well with COVID-type) about issues on campus and in the community.