Runway Takeover Fashion Show in Stillwater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Designers from Oklahoma State University, Oklahoma University and University of Texas showcased their talents and creations Saturday night. The Runway Takeover Fashion Show, at the Wyndham Garden Hotel, previewed four clothing collections from lines created by several designers. Melissa Alakayi, Destiny Miller and Myrakahl McBee headlined the show. “All three of us have a passion for [fashion] and wanted to do something to help everyone else out as far as hairstylist, makeup artist and models, and to have another form of entertainment provided to Stillwater,” McBee said. OSU student Kristian Singh and Langston student Ambrose Midget hosted the show. Alakayi, Lizzy Schrantz, and Lynae Dowdell, who are majoring in apparel merchandising at OSU, had lines in the show. They were involved in every facet of their lines, from designing the pieces to sewing the clothing together. Mars Mansion was the first line to take the runway. This collection was founded in the fall of 2009 and is based in Dallas. The line featured several shirts from Mars Mansion’s brand, which can be bought at marsmansion.bigcartel.com.

The second line presented was Foreign Icon, designed by cousins Alakayi and Stephanie Njunuri. “It was inspired by international cultures,” Alakayi said. “Me and my cousin are both Nigerian, and the materials we used are Nigerian materials.” 
     The show had an interactive break with a dance competition and raffle drawing.
 “My favorite part of the show was the intermission when everyone tried to dance,” McBee said. 
The show was continued with the Day of the Dead collection, designed by Schrantz. It featured pieces that were hand-dyed in Taos, New Mexico. The close of the show was the line Autumn Aspirations, designed by Dowdell. The collection’s biography describes it as a fluid collection full of leathers and soft fall colors. Style and empowerment were the goals of this line. McBee said the main objective of the show was for Stillwater to see that everyone has talent and to showcase the designers’ skills. 
“I feel like the show was a success, McBee said. “It was a great turnout, and from what I hear, everyone enjoyed it, so I’m glad.”
Just a college girl trying to change the world.