jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Rules of Being Friends with Benefits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Having a friend with benefits is a tricky situation. Perhaps, you have tried it before and it’s failed because someone developed romantic feelings, but the other did not return the romance. It’s hard not to blur the line between being in a relationship and being friends with benefits. Here are guidelines to keep that line clear and defined.

Don’t fall in love. This seems to be the obvious rule. Trust me though; it is harder than you think. Naturally, you will begin to develop feelings after spending so much “quality” time together. But don’t let those feeling of lust be confused as ones of love.

Don’t be clingy. The last thing he wants is to see your number pop up on his phone when it’s not a booty call. That sounds harsh, but it’s honest. You knew what you were getting yourself into when you signed-up for this (or so we hope). It isn’t fair to him when you suddenly want to change the rules of the game. Plus, it’ll most likely drive him away.

Don’t become FWB with somebody you see every day, like a co-worker or a neighbor. Despite the benefits of this other than sex (being close, etc.), it makes it hard to keep the relationship strictly sexual. Once you develop any other sort of relationship, the FWB part tends to get complicated.

Be cautious. It’s ok to still be dating others at the same time. He probably is too. But, once you find somebody you want to further things with, then you should be sure this new guy is on the same page as you are before dumping your FWB.

Don’t introduce him to friends and family. Keep it on a need to know basis. A FWB relationship is meant to be a temporary time in your life. Having him interact with others in your social circle creates a long-term relationship feel. Also, seeing him interact with those close to you will tap into your emotional side, which is very bad in this type of friendship.

Don’t get jealous. You are going to date on the side, and so will he. Don’t let the green-eyed monster take control if you see him out with somebody else. It will most likely turn him off to your prior arrangement if you start showing signs of envy.

Always use protection. This should be a no-brainer. Whether it is a serious relationship or just casual hook-ups, always be careful. Especially in this type of relationship. Nobody wants a consequence that will tie him or her to their FWB forever.

Keep it in the bedroom, not on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media sites. FWB relationships are usually more exciting if they are confidential. And remember, you’re not the only one involved. He probably doesn’t want his casual sex life broadcasted to all of his friends over the Internet. 

I am a sophomore multimedia journalism major at Oklahoma State. Originally from Fort Worth, Tx. I am a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. I love photography and anything vintage!
I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.