Redefine Beautiful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

This week is Eating Disorder Awareness Week and Oklahoma State University’s campus is spreading the word. Through pushing a fat talk-free week, Colvin fat talk board and a panel discussion to be held at the Seretean Wellness Center.

In our society young woman idolize what they think is beautiful, which is thin. From Victoria Secret to Actresses we see the trend of being thin or skinny as being popular, loved, and talented. Oklahoma State is doing its best to not let eating disorders be swept under the rug or come to point of tragedy. This Tuesday from 5:30-6:30 p.m. is Redefine Beautiful – Panel Discussion to End Fat Talk at the Seretean Wellness Center, were three guest speakers will be discussing the negative impacts of body shame and of eating disorders.

Most eating disorders can be brought on by high stress. Thinking about that brings college stress to a whole new category. And I noticed that people worry about students having mental breakdowns by either harming themselves or others due to the stress of college, but when they hurt themselves most people didn’t think about eating disorders. The panel that is meeting on Tuesday is going to reveal that just 3-5 minutes of fat talk bring a person’s self-esteem and body image down.

Some of the things the speakers at the panel discussion will be talking about is how just three to five minutes of fat talk can lower self-esteem and increases your body dissatisfaction. They will also touch on the three most popular types of eating disorders which are anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating. These events will be continued throughout the week. The way to redefine beauty is to take control of the mirror don’t let people tell you how you are supposed to look! Look the way that makes you happiest! 

Strategic Communications Senior at Oklahoma State Univeristy! Go Pokes! I'm a small town girl that is always looking for new places and adventures! I'm obsessed with yoga and road biking! My passion is with non-profit and volunteer service, although I'm a total advertising junkie! I'm pretty weird, and in the best way, spunky and spontaneous!