OK State Homecoming King and Queen: Riley Pagett and Kylie Roper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

There is tissue paper lining University, the wood signs have been moved near the street, Stillwater is packed full of students, alumni and families. It is the eve of Homecoming. The football players are safely secure in the Atherton, Greek Life is finally sleeping after all-night pomp and Residential Halls are guarding the floats for the parade. And lastly, ten Homecoming king and queen hopefuls are keeping their fingers crossed that they are chosen to represent OSU in such a large way.

Although, many students submitted applications it is a process of elimination involving resume reviews, essay questions and interviews. By the end of this process their were only five men and five women left, who did a final interview to select who would be crowded Homecoming king and queen at the Homecoming game.

The OK State Homecoming court has spent time mingling on campus at numerous homecoming events and getting to know one another, inevitably making the big reveal, more emotional and exciting for them. Either they themselves are going to win or someone they believe is deserving will win.

The time has come, Boone Pickens stadium just erupted in disappointed and joy because winners of the Homecoming competitions were announced. But a calm was brought over the stadium as the Homecoming court was introduced.

Your 2012 Homecoming king and queen are…

KYLIE ROPER AND RILEY PAGETT.

Once again the stadium was filled with joy and disappointment. Joy for the students like me that just watched a high school peer and role model win queen and king. And disappointment for the friends and family of the other candidates.

Kylie, a senior business administration major, said she is honored and humbled to be serving as Homecoming queen and is excited to be chosen as an ambassador of OK State.

“My responsibilities as homecoming queen mainly include serving as an ambassador for the university, which in my opinion involves helping others to have as great of an experience at OSU as I have during my time as a student,” Kylie said.

Riley, a senior agricultural communications major said he was nervous walking out onto the field at halftime, not because he was scared he wasn’t going to win, but because he cares greatly about OK state.

“Have you ever had an out of body experience,” Riley said. “When all of your experiences come back to you? Thats how I felt. Everything I’ve had the chance of experiencing at OSU came together at that single point in time.”

Although, Kylie and Riley didn’t know each other previous to serving on the court together they both expressed their joy of serving together and confidence in the other.

“She’s one of the most humble, caring and respectful people on campus and I am blessed to serve with her,” Riley said.

And the kind words and thoughts didn’t stop with Riley.

“He is so deserving of this honor, not only because of his involvement and leadership abilities, but because of his character,” Kylie said.

Kylie and Riley will be serving as OK State’s Homecoming king and queen until homecoming next year. This campus is lucky to have such a wonderful selection of leaders and ambassadors to represent the thousand of students at OK State. 

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.