Culture > News

Nikita Dragun Had the Ultimate Clap Back to Victoria Secrets comment about Transgender Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Earlier this month we were all graced with the presence of the Victoria Secret Fashion Show, as always there were performances by today’s top artist, cute outfits, intricate angel wing designs, and of course the worlds most beautiful models.

One thing that the show was lacking was diversity. Over the years there has been an uproar for the modeling world to have more diversity in their spreads in magazines, in their runway shows, and in their advertising. And it’s not just for the color of their model’s skin that people are angry over, its also their lack of different body types and Transgender models.

Victoria Secret Chief Marketing Director, Ed Razek, made insensitive comments about Transgender models saying “They shouldn’t be in the show” and “They can’t sell the fantasy”. Upon these comments being made, many celebrities clap backed at this comments, among these celebrities was Singer Halsey who actually performed at the show this year, and Nikita Dragun, a transgender beauty guru on Youtube who actually created her own commercial. Dressed like a VS Angel, Nikita said “Dear Victoria’s Secret, you said Trans Women can’t sell the “fantasy”, so here I am as a TRANS WOMAN selling the FANTASY.” 

Because of this EPIC clap back (Watch the video here), Nikita has been interviewed on some of the biggest shows on TV. So many brands, media outlets. and people have shown so much support on the movement that Nikita started with her video. Ed Razek has since apologized for his comments, but nothing will stop the movement that Nikita started. So, will we start to see more Trans Women on the runway soon? What are your thoughts? Do you think Trans Women are misrepresented in the modeling world? 

HerCampus OKState Vice President. A Fashion Merchandising major that considers herself a professional crafter and glitter enthusiast with a love for corgi's, queso, and iced Carmel Macchiato's. Alpha Xi Delta PC 2015. National American Miss Oklahoma 2016. The riegning Royal International Miss Oklahoma 2019.